Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to apply for Student Loan Rehabilitation

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to apply for Student Loan Rehabilitation

Hello everyone, 

This is my first post and I am asking for some assistance. I have been looking for 2 days on how to apply for student loan rehabilitation. I want to begin to rehab my loans, but I keep running into "how" to rehab, not how to apply. I have gone to the NDLS website and found out who my loans are with: They are with DIRECT STAFFORD UNSUBSIDIZED, STAFFORD UNSUBSIDIZED, and also STAFFORD SUBSIDIZED, but I cannot for the life of me find a link on how to rehab and there is no phone number associated with the loan holders. Is there a Stafford website that I can apply for rehabilitation. I can find all things for consolidating a student loan. Just not rehabbing a student loan. Help!

I am one who tries to find information on their own, but I am either I am looking in the wrong areas or I am missing something. I am running into Google research exhaustion trying to dig up information that seems like it should be easy to find. It seems like there is a big secret, but common sense knows its not. 

Any spinning me around and pointing me into the right direction would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
trix_r_4_kids
Regular Contributor

Re: How to apply for Student Loan Rehabilitation

You will need to call the DOE at 1-800-621-3115.  Explain your situation to the CSR who answers the phone and they will point you in the right direction.  Several forum members, including me, have survived SL rehab.  You can do it!

Keep us posted...

I used to post my scores here. However, I'm prone to motion sickness and the ups and downs were nauseating.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!

Side bar:

I am surprised in the day and age that they actually want people to call? Most places avoid having customers call at at costs and either give them automation or a website to click and to handle it themselves. 

I thank you again kindly and will begin my journey there.

Message 3 of 6
SCF
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone, 

I have gone to the NDLS website and found out who my loans are with: They are with DIRECT STAFFORD UNSUBSIDIZED, STAFFORD UNSUBSIDIZED, and also STAFFORD SUBSIDIZED

Those are actually the loan TYPES, not the loan holders.  Since you're in default, you'll probably be dealing with one of the collection agencies that contracts with the DoE to collect student loans.

On the NSLDS website, if you click on the number next to each of your loans, you'll be taken to another page with more detailed information, including the name and contact information for the loan's current holder.

Message 4 of 6
Unique620
Frequent Contributor

When I did my rehab I called lender and they gave me number to guranteer, who own my loan. 

Mcu_platinum_cardDiscoverQuicksilverAmazonFreedomSapphirePenFed_Credit_Union_Power_Cash_CardAMEX_BCPDeltaHhiltonAmex_platinumAppleNavy PlatinumCash rewardsNavy Platinum

Message 5 of 6
Kathy4NU
Frequent Contributor

I am making my 8th payment tomorrow!  One month left (if it gets picked up right away)!!!!

I did not contact anyone about going into rehab - they called me several times to make the arrangments.  I had to wait until I knew I could swing 9 monthly payments because of the large sum they are.

June '12: EQ 553 TU 0 EX 545
April '13 Lender Pull EQ 731, EX 692, TU 722 - all FICO

Closed on home May 22, 2013 at 2:00pm!!!
CU Visa $1000, VS $350, Chase Freedom $1000, Discover IT $2500, Home Depot: $2700, Menards $3000, NFM $3500
What's been deleted: 32 collections, 5 PR, 2 tax liens, defaulted student loans
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.