Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to consolidate my student loans?

tag
xogosula
New Visitor

How to consolidate my student loans?

This is all new to me. I've been through the mortgage process twice, but know very little about student loans. I graduated with a BS in May and just got a letter stating my student loans were coming due. I owe ~$16000, and am looking to consolidate all this together (as I heard you can get a lower interest rate). The problem is Sallie Mae does not consolidte anymore. Does any have any suggestions on what to do to consolidate at a lower interest? My interest varies from 3.81-6.8 on some of the stafford loans.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
scvbd99
Frequent Contributor

Re: How to consolidate my student loans?

Direct Loan Consilidation is what you're looking for, I think. Read all of the information on the site before doing it, though.  It takes them 60-90 days to create the new loan, and you can cancel it anytime before the new loan is created.  

http://www.loanconsolidation.ed.gov/

However, you don't get  a lower interest rate.  Consolidation uses the weighted average interest of all of the separate loans, and puts them into one big new loan, and locks it in for your entire repayment schedule.  The only way that consolidation will lower your interest rates while you repay is if Congress raises interest rates on them while you're repaying.  

800+ for all 3 CRAs.

Student loan forgiveness/discharge FINALLY complete.
Message 2 of 3
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Re: How to consolidate my student loans?

I personally do not think it is necessary. It will not help your credit score, and you will still be paying the same amount.
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.