Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I NEED HELP/ADVICE NOW!!! (Nelnet)

tag
theREBIRTHofCREDIT
Regular Contributor

I NEED HELP/ADVICE NOW!!! (Nelnet)

I need info on GW success stories with Nelnet OR ANY Advice on my current issue with Nelnet ... I recently was surprised to learn that Nelnet reported a 60 day late on my CR 9 TIMES!!!!!!!!! I called and asked them about this since my Nelnet billing statement only has ONE ACCT # and was told that I have 9 seperate loans under that ONE acct # ... WTH!! I was super pissed! Like how can they do that? I receive ONE Bill in the mail and make ONE payment (never consolidated) But as soon as I'm late they Report it 9 seperate times with 9 seperate balances on ALL 3 CR... Is this legal?!?!? & if so, will consolidating these so called 9 seperae Accts (that have the same acct#) help prevent this in the future (not that I plan on being late again, but hey u Never know)

TIA

BTW as u all know, having a 60 day late report 9 seperate times just MURDERED my credit score ;(
Goal Score 680+
Start Score ........ 2/05/14: ...EX 612 -TU 575 -EQ 567
Current Score .... 5/02/14: ...EX 652 -TU 655 -EQ 646

I almost paid for credit repair......until I found myFICO!!!!!
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: I NEED HELP/ADVICE NOW!!! (Nelnet)

Hi!  Sorry to hear about your situation with Nelnet.  Yes, this is common, just not with Nelnet.  A while back a whole flood of people were complaining about Sallie Mae doing this.  I've never consolidated, & don't intend to, but my understanding is that yes, it would eliminate this problem in the future.

Message 2 of 12
theREBIRTHofCREDIT
Regular Contributor

Do you think sending them a GW letter would help ... If so, when should I send it since the 60 day was reported 06/2012??? Also, if I consolidate will the account still be with Nelnet or PIF to Nelnet and with a new company? If it get with a new company when should I GW Nelnet? TIA
Goal Score 680+

Message 3 of 12
laz98
Senior Contributor

It can't hurt.  Send it whenever you want; they don't have a time limit for accepting those kinds of letters.

I think there are only a few places that do consolidation, & I don't think Nelnet is one of them.  If you did consolidate, it would be PIF with Nelnet & new accounts would be opened with whoever you consolidated with.

Message 4 of 12
theREBIRTHofCREDIT
Regular Contributor

Well yesterday I broke down and sent an Online app. to consolidate using the IBR option via the Department of Education website ... so who knows which company will get my consolidation.

But I guess the question I was trying to ask yesterday is: Once consolidated Nelnet will be PIF, SO, should I try to GW BEFORE they're PIF OR AFTER they are PIF??

Thanks In Advance

Goal Score 680+

Message 5 of 12
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

I just completed the consolidation process and all of my loans went to NelNet as the servicer (they were scattered before).  Even with the consolidation, each loan TYPE will show up as a separate loan on your CRA.  There is no helping it.  The consolidation simply means that you send a single payment to a single servicer and they apply it to the various loans.  They also align your due dates, so you only have one due date.  So, to answer your question, yes, it's legal and yes, if you have 9 loans, you'll have 9 individual notations every month you are late, even in consolidation.

The consolidation will also open 9 NEW accounts, which will shoot your AAoA down the toilet.  I lost points when my 4 consolidated and became "new" accounts.

As far as getting them removed, if it was a processing error and you can prove timely payments, they will fix it.  If you were late, you were late and this is the natural consequence of that action (or inaction, to be more precise).  I have had zero success in GWing on student loans. The last of my 120s is due to fall off in September.

Does it suck?  Absolutely. Does it teach a valuable lesson about managing one's finances and staying on top of one's debt? Absolutely.

I would never tell anyone NOT to GW, but understand as it is a government product, chances are very, very low.  There are things on my CRA that I've had to take a deep breath and move past to focus on the things I CAN change.

Starting Score: 10/1/2011 EQ 568 TU 593
Current Score: EQ 664 TU 700 EX 701 (FAKO)

Message 6 of 12
theREBIRTHofCREDIT
Regular Contributor

well Nelnet was reporting the 9 loans I have with them BUT I also have 2 other SL with another company (those were'nt late & not reporting) ... Im guessing that once I consolidate that I will have a different company since I included Nelnet and the other company on my consolidation request.

I guess I'll see how this turns out. Hopefully, Nelnet will work in my favor with this in the end!!

Goal Score 680+

Message 7 of 12
laz98
Senior Contributor

I didn't know you could consolidate AND apply for IBR in one process.  Let us know how it goes.

Message 8 of 12
theREBIRTHofCREDIT
Regular Contributor

Iaz98 ... Well on the DOE website when u click on the consolidation link and begin the online app. after you input your info it asks for your AGI from your most curent 1040. Once you input that info your repayment options will pop up. I had several options, including IBR and ICR (I didn't know anything about either of these options prior to this). So before I selected, I called to customer service # to get clarification on which repayment option was best for me. After that conversation, I chose the IBR.

I'll definately keep you posted on this though. My main concern is Nelnet and getting them to accept a GW to remove those lates.... ;(
Goal Score 680+

Message 9 of 12
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

@laz98 wrote:

I didn't know you could consolidate AND apply for IBR in one process.  Let us know how it goes.

The loans consolidate in whatever state they are in with the original lender (IBR, deferment, forbearance) and the consolidation is supposed to apply your repayment selection.  However, if you are in a deferment/forbearance, they will NOT apply it until you come out.  I had to pull mine out of forbearance to get the IBR applied after the consolidation.

Starting Score: 10/1/2011 EQ 568 TU 593
Current Score: EQ 664 TU 700 EX 701 (FAKO)

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.