cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can help with your Student Loan(s)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I can help with your Student Loan(s)

**edit** didn't see the thread creation date..

Message 21 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I defaulted on my student loan w/UHEA and they started garnishing my wages 10 months ago. I contacted them last week and was told that because they've received 9 month's + of on time payments my account was now in good standing. They stopped my garnishment and set me up on a payment plan. Now here's the problem... I had already filed my taxes, and today when i called on the status I discovered that I had an offset from UHEA of $2,551 (remaining balance). Since my loan is no longer in default can this offset be stopped? I am due to get my refund on 2/6/13. If not will I get the money returned to me from UHEA or can I request a return of those funds? Please help, I am a single mother of 2, and was counting on the full refund. Thank you
Message 22 of 28
mspiggybank
New Contributor

@Nikki9842 You should call them right away. When I started my rehab, the collection agent I spoke to offered to remove the offset right away. Call them and see if they can rush it because they probably will not give you the money back.
Message 23 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the advice, I will call them first thing tomorrow.
Message 24 of 28
SHuck

My student loans were sent into default once I entered the military. As if that didnt take long enough to get situated 3 years I finally got Sallie Mae to buy back my loan and as they told me they would fixed my creit report and reset to the beginning. They have not each time I have them make a correction they add a new account. Although USAFunds has been removed and none of them are in collections anymore i now have them showing late payments when its currently in forberance until Mar 2013. I want them to correct my credit report so that it shows correctly just the two accounts instead of like 5 accounts and these late payments. What do I do. I am trying ot get this correct so that my FICO score will go up I am trying to get a mortgage and this is dragging it terrible. 

Student/Education LoanSallie MaeXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX007110/2007$6,852Bad debt/collectionThis account has late payments in the pastDetails
Student/Education LoanSallie MaeXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX007110/2007$3,733Pays account as agreedThis account has late payments in the pastDetails
Student/Education LoanSallie MaeXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX007110/2007$3,473Pays account as agreedThis account has late payments in the past

Details

OtherSallie MaeXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX007110/2007$0120+ days past dueThis account has late payments in the pastDetails
OtherSallie MaeXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX007110/2007$0120+ days past dueThis account has late payments in the pastDetails
Message 25 of 28
Alexia94582

You should not have to wait that long. Under the law you have the right to demand a complete accountability of your account. Not just a simple overview.

Send them a letter and give them 30 days to comply with your request.

If they do not forward the information to you within this reasonable time period, any abstracts they forward to any of the credit bureaus, must not be considered true, and may denote a nullification of your consumer rights. If this is the case request they remove such credit bureau data now.

You must do this in writing.

Best of luck,

Alexia

Message 26 of 28
Alexia94582

You must write them a letter and give them 30 days to respond. Request a through documentation, and not a simple overview. If they do not forward these materials within this reasonable time period, any abstracts forwarded to any of the credit bureaus must not be considered true and may denote a nullification of your consumer rights. If that is the case have them remove the credit bureau data now.

The problem I see often times have much to do with a consumer not familiar with his or her rights. 

Thanks to the statute under the FCRA you are entitled to a 100% error free credit report. In other words, if your legal name is John Smith, and they report John Doe they must correct it just the same way. It's that SIMPLE!!!

This does not suggest you don't owe the debt. However, it is your right to dispute any questionable information. 

I hope this gives you a bit of hope, and you can move forward. Remember it is not your duty, to send them any documentations/proof to make

their job easy. There you're accounts and you know them best.

Best Wishes,

Alexia

Message 27 of 28
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Locked thread. OP created this thread with the intent to help others, but he/she has been MIA since starting it. To avoid posters from asking questions that'll never get answered by the OP, this is locked and certainly encourage others who started this year to ask a new question by starting their own thread.

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.