Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a question?

tag
Agent_Zero
New Contributor

I have a question?

So I have 5000 dollars in student loans that I have to start paying back in a couple of months. Oks, so my question is what if I take a class at a community college. Would I still have to start paying those loans back since I would be getting an education? I'm not trying to skip out on my loans, I'm just thinking 16 weeks for one class is only 330 dollars. So that's 8 paychecks I could use to knock down the principle of my loan. What do people think can I do that or would I have to start paying back the loans anyway?

Recovering from a irresponsible au.

***-Gardening-***
10/10/13-4/10/13

If it won't for myfico my only card would be my debt it card.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
trix_r_4_kids
Regular Contributor

Re: I have a question?

@jetlife_reeves wrote:

So I have 5000 dollars in student loans that I have to start paying back in a couple of months. Oks, so my question is what if I take a class at a community college. Would I still have to start paying those loans back since I would be getting an education? I'm not trying to skip out on my loans, I'm just thinking 16 weeks for one class is only 330 dollars. So that's 8 paychecks I could use to knock down the principle of my loan. What do people think can I do that or would I have to start paying back the loans anyway?

It sounds like you might be interested in deferring your loan payments.  You would have to be enrolled at least half-time to qualify for the deferral.  One class is not half-time.

As someone who really screwed up my student loans after I graduated, I would recommend paying them off as soon as possible.  If money is tight, you might qualify for an income based repayment.  I'd check this out first if I were you.  Whatever you do, don't mess with student loans!

(*edited to fix a typo)

I used to post my scores here. However, I'm prone to motion sickness and the ups and downs were nauseating.
Message 2 of 4
Agent_Zero
New Contributor

Oks thank you. So if I went halftime then I would be able to. If I deferred my loans would it be worth it, or should I just start paying it off now.

Recovering from a irresponsible au.

***-Gardening-***
10/10/13-4/10/13

If it won't for myfico my only card would be my debt it card.
Message 3 of 4
SCF
Valued Contributor

What type of loans are they?  Subsidized federal loans will have their interest paid while in deferment, but unsubsidized loans will continue to accrue interest.  That means that with unsub loans, the best way to save money is to pay as much as you can as soon as you can to reduce the total interest paid.

Only take those classes if they will benefit you, if not, just apply what you would have paid toward tuition to the loan and work on getting yourself debt free.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.