cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm new to this...I have late student loans on my credit report...what do I do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm new to this...I have late student loans on my credit report...what do I do?

Right now, I have 115000 in student loans.  They are all current as they are deferred because I am in school.  On my report it shows that they have been 180 days late in the past. I never defaulted on any of them though.

What do I do?  I'm currently trying to get out of my unsecured debt and some medical debt so how do I tame the student date?

Thanks,

Dan

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: I'm new to this...I have late student loans on my credit report...what do I do?

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm not sure I understand your post.  Are you saying you've never been late, or just specifically that you didn't default?  The reason I ask is because I don't think you default until 270 days late or something ridiculous like that, but I could be wrong.

If the late payments are accurate, then all you can do is write them a letter asking them to kindly remove the late remarks out of the kindness of their hearts.  They have no obligation to do so, but it doesn't usually hurt to ask.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I'm new to this...I have late student loans on my credit report...what do I do?

Hi,

What I meant to say was if there was a way to remove the previous late reports from the report.  Now that the accounts are current and being deferred, would they remove the 180 days late marks from my report.

I don't know if that impacts my score a lot but since I am current, I wonder if they would remove that mark.

Thank you

Message 3 of 7
Student_Loans_Kill
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Right now, I have 115000 in student loans.  They are all current as they are deferred because I am in school.  On my report it shows that they have been 180 days late in the past. I never defaulted on any of them though.

What do I do?  I'm currently trying to get out of my unsecured debt and some medical debt so how do I tame the student date?

Thanks,

Dan

RETROACTIVE FORBEARANCE ASAP- then request in school deferment. theis will then be removed from reports

Starting Score: 656
Current Score: 678 TU 08, 665 EQ MyFico, 698 EX PSECU
Goal Score: 7OO needed for Mortgage application

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, please explain what retroactive forebearance is.  Can I just call up Sallie Mae and ask for this or do I have to send letters etc.

Thank you.

Message 5 of 7
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

What I meant to say was if there was a way to remove the previous late reports from the report.  Now that the accounts are current and being deferred, would they remove the 180 days late marks from my report.   Not necessarily.  All you can do is ask.  I don't have any experience with retroactive forbearances that were mentioned, but it might be something to ask about.  Some lenders are nicer than others.

I don't know if that impacts my score a lot but since I am current, I wonder if they would remove that mark.  It absolutely impacts your score in a serious way.

Thank you

Message 6 of 7
KKCHANCE2
Valued Member

I apologize for highjacking the OP thread but Student_Loans_Kill, please explain how someone should request the delinquencies be removed/amended after a retroactive forebearance? I am in the same situation.  Nelnet did a retroactive forebearance but still reports negatively on my CR after multiple requests for removal.  I am now on an IBR plan so I have no lates since 11/11 but I am having no luck with Nelnet on the prior lates! Thanks in advance.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.