Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I paid my last student loan today..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I paid my last student loan today..

Aside from the nice fancy bottle of scotch I plan to spend what-use-to-be-my-loan-payment-money on next month, I think I'm going to go crazy and order my fico scores.

Any one finish their loan and find even a modest bump for a zero balance on an installment account? When? I don't want to waste my fico $.

Or should I just be happy that I paid my first mortgage (student loan amount) so now I can go into a real mortagage office without getting a long sad look from the banker (like when she/he saw my old debt to income ratio)?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
MattH
Senior Contributor

Re: I paid my last student loan today..

@Anonymous wrote:

Aside from the nice fancy bottle of scotch I plan to spend what-use-to-be-my-loan-payment-money on next month, I think I'm going to go crazy and order my fico scores.

Any one finish their loan and find even a modest bump for a zero balance on an installment account? When? I don't want to waste my fico $.

Or should I just be happy that I paid my first mortgage (student loan amount) so now I can go into a real mortagage office without getting a long sad look from the banker (like when she/he saw my old debt to income ratio)?

Congratulations.  After that bottle of scotch I hope you'll start saving what you had been paying on your SLs each month.  Any sudden improvement in one's finance, such as a higher-paying job or the end of a longstanding debt, is both a major opportunity and a major risk.  It's a painless opportunity to increase savings by starting to save the new money, but it's also a temptation to think "now I can relax" and blow the new money on short-term spending.  After my student loans were paid off, my wife and I spent another seven years in a tiny rental saving up for the downpayment on our condo, so now we are enjoying the upside from those seven years.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.