cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I paid my student loan interest now what?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I paid my student loan interest now what?

Okay so I've been told if I pay my student loan interest I get a tax deduction of up to $2,500.

I paid about $800 in interest charges off today. So I'm just wondering how to I claim this deduction?

Does the loan servicer (Fedloan) send me a certificate or something to claim the interest deduction?

My loans are currently in forbearance until next year but I had some money saved to pay this and hopefully not allow this interest to Capitalize, I know it's not a lot but it's better than nothing.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I paid my student loan interest now what?

You should get a statement (can't remember the form name) in/around January showing how much you paid in interest.  You will need this in order to get the deduction.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay thank you!
Message 3 of 4
scvbd99
Frequent Contributor

Fedloan will send you a 1098-E as long as you paid more than $600 in interest. 

You don't have to wait for them to mail it. It usually shows up under "Tax Information" when you login. For me, it usually shows up a couple weeks into January. 

the best thing about it is that it's an above the line income adjustment, and also that you can use it even if you don't itemize. 

800+ for all 3 CRAs.

Student loan forgiveness/discharge FINALLY complete.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.