cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I recently had my student loans discharged, but negative accounts still show up on my credit report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently had my student loans discharged, but negative accounts still show up on my credit report

So back in September of last year I filed a TPD through NelNet, and on October of 2015 my TPD was approved, then back in Februrary I was told that they had officiallly been paid, but when I looked at my credit reports, they have the TPD with Dept Ed/NelNet as positive accounts, but the ones I had through Dept Ed/Navient or just Navient were listed as negative accounts, so I did the dispute online for Experian and TransUnion, but had to Equifax over the phone, and I got the email saying my dispute was completed by equifax, but I don't understand what they mean, how do I know if they've been removed, or not removed. I go into my equifax account on their website under the dispute section and enter the 10 digit number, and my details, and they still show up, and I have the option again to dispute them.

This is what they say.

>>> We have researched the credit account. Account # −(Left Out) The results are: We have verified that this item has been reported correctly. If you have documents that release you from this obligation, please forward a copy to us. Historical account information was deleted from this account. If you have additional questions about this item please contact: Navient, 300 Continental Dr, Newark DE 19713−4322

But this loan then says for loan amount, and past due, $0 for both.

This is what they say online under my credit report, 

Name: NAVIENT
Acct #: (Left Out)
Credit Limit: n/a
Date Reported: 02/27/2016
Date Opened: (Left Off) Balance:
$0
Past Due: $0
Acct Status: PAYS AS AGREED
Dispute ItemShow Details

Why would that still be labeled as a negative account, does it take time for them to be removed online? I appologize, as I'm totally new to this, never had to dispute, as I never thought I would have my loans paid off or discharged as I'm disabled.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
6speed8
Regular Contributor

Re: I recently had my student loans discharged, but negative accounts still show up on my credit rep

What kind of discharge ? I filed for Disability Discharge in 2012. Three years of monitoring and they were completely discharged in 2015. It sometimes takes a month or two for them to report. NelNet told me they report once a month, generally on the 30th . If it doesn't make it into their system for reporting by a certain day of the month, it may take until the 30th of the following month for them to report status changes. If you did in fact do a Disability Discharge, I may be wrong, but I believe the "Open/Closed" status will not change until discharged completely after the 3 year monitoring period. I'm pretty sure mine showed "open/pays as agreed" during the monitoring period.

CH 7 Discharged 6/10/15
T/U - 643
EQ - 588
Ex - 647 as of 6/14/15
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I recently had my student loans discharged, but negative accounts still show up on my credit rep

Yes that's exactly what I did. I signed up with Equifax for their 3 bureau monitoring service.

I got information from this thread here, http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Student-Loans/Student-Loan-Disability-Discharge/td-p/2440749 that led me to dispute them, but it doesn't seem like they worked, as according to the website, some of them still show up as negative accounts, not sure why.

-Jason

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also have another question can Federal Pell Grants be discharged?

Message 4 of 8
SCF
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I also have another question can Federal Pell Grants be discharged?

I'm not sure what you're asking.  Pell Grants are not loans and they do not have to be repaid unless there was an unusual circumstance like being over-awarded, or maybe some situations with failing to attend classes or register or something like that.  Are you asking about Pell Grants or maybe do you mean Perkins loans?

Message 5 of 8
6speed8
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes that's exactly what I did. I signed up with Equifax for their 3 bureau monitoring service.

I got information from this thread here, http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Student-Loans/Student-Loan-Disability-Discharge/td-p/2440749 that led me to dispute them, but it doesn't seem like they worked, as according to the website, some of them still show up as negative accounts, not sure why.

-Jason

Spit balling here but maybe they remain in whatever status they were in before the discharge is approved and remain that way until full discharge after the monitoring period..

CH 7 Discharged 6/10/15
T/U - 643
EQ - 588
Ex - 647 as of 6/14/15
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

For whatevr it's worth, I got my experian credit report today through Experian's website, and I only have 3 negative accounts now, 2 Credit Cards from when I got our of High School, stupid Teenage mistakes, and my only Private loan through Navient.

And those Navient loans aren't marked as negative anymore, so hopefully it's true.

I hope Equifax and TransUnion will follow suit.

-Jason

Message 7 of 8
6speed8
Regular Contributor

Just keep an eye on it. If they don't follow suit in a couple of months, then submit a dispute.

CH 7 Discharged 6/10/15
T/U - 643
EQ - 588
Ex - 647 as of 6/14/15
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.