Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IBR and "Family Size"

tag
Booner72
Senior Contributor

IBR and "Family Size"

I file separately to keep the low payment.  When I first signed up, I only claimed 2 as I thought I only could due to me filing and claiming one child, my husband claiming the other.  The next year I was told I could claim all 4 of us, even though we are filing separately.  Then I read that's wrong, and I freaked for almost 2 years, because last year they didn't send me anything for the yearly update (I was resold to ASPIRE).  I got the yearly update letter yesterday and almost threw up.  I'm paying 125 a month and thought I'd have to go down to claiming only 3, (me and kids).  But there is a law now that says family size has nothing to do with filing status for taxes.  My payment is only going up 40 bucks! 

I just wanted others to know this in case they didn't.  I read the paperwork in it's ENTIRETY and nowhere does it say if I only claim 2 on taxes, that I can only put 2 down for family size.  They are unrelated.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
kjel
Established Contributor

Re: IBR and "Family Size"

Nelnet let me claim a household size of 4 even though there were only 2 of us on the 2011 tax return. I live with my partner but we are not married and we had a baby last year plus my other daughter.

Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 2 of 5
Booner72
Senior Contributor

OK, Confused again - an online calculator I just used said NOT SPOUSE when I was counting family size.

It's me, DH, and 2 kids. We file separately. What is my family size for IBR?

I don't want to screw anything up because I'm in the public service forgiveness program. It's my only way out of this hell of debt and I can't lose that program!

Thanks
Message 3 of 5
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Sorry, All. I just answered my own question. According to the IBR Pay as you earn Repayment Plan Request Form (OMB No. 1845-0102)

"Family size includes you, your spouse, and your children (including unborn children who will be born during the year for which you certify your family size), if the children will receive more than half of their support from you. It includes other people only if they live with you now, they receive more than half their support from you now, and they will continue to receive this support from you for the year that you certify your family size. Support includes money, gifts, loans, housing, food, clothes, car medical and dental care, and payment of college costs.

Sheesh - Can I use my 21 year old stepdaughter in Florida since I have her on my health insurance? Guess not, she doesn't "live with me now."

I hope this post helps someone.
Message 4 of 5
kjel
Established Contributor

Family size for IBR is not the same definition of family under IRS auspices.

They "may" ask for your tax returns at some point though for verification purposes. I recently had to send mine in.

Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.