Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IBR newbie

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

IBR newbie

I have some questions that i desperately need help with.  Last month 6 out of my 12 student loans fell into default.  I started a great new job at a great new company after a filthy divorce and things are looking up, so when i recieved notice of my loans in default i decided to pay attention and no longer neglect this. My defaulted student loans went to the DRG at the Dept of Ed, I sent app for the rehab program and also my inital $5 payment.  Once they recieve my 2013 tax form whiich i mailed off today I should be good to go.  Now here is where the questions come in.  The 6 loans that are not in rehab and are still with Fed loans i have been approved for the IBR program and after 20 or 25 yeasr my debt shall be forgiven.  My inital monthly payment is $0 because i just started my new job.  If i pay $5 a month or maybe even $50 a month would it help my credit score.  Up until July 2014 all my loans show up as 180 days late.  My concern is that even though my IBR payment is $0 now it wont really benefit my credit score or show mr being a responsible person. My thought is paying something on these loans even if I am not required too will show responsible credit handling and may even up my score.  Is this true and can anyone shed light on this!!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: IBR newbie

As long as you make your required monthly payment on time, your student loan servicer will report the loan "pays as agreed" for that month.  This means that whether you are on IBR, PAYE, or even in a deferment or forbearance, you'll be seeing positive marks on your report and building a positive history.

Since your payments are so low, your loans will be accumulating interest.  Making payments will help cover some or all of that interest, so if you can afford to, it is a good idea to keep your debt from actually increasing.  Keep in mind that if your have any debt remaining after the 25 year repayment period, the amount that is forgiven will be reported as taxable income in the year in which it is forgiven - so it is in your best interest to pay down what you can.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.