Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Innacurate Reporting After Rehab

tag
TFreshStart
Valued Member

Innacurate Reporting After Rehab

My student loans were rehabbed in Sept of 2013. TU and EX are reporting correctly however EQ has been a nightmare. I've been working with a Sallie Mae Advocate for over a month now trying to correct the way my rehabbed student loans are reporting. After several emails and rounds of phone tag she was able to correct most of it removing the 120+ Day late status and updating the description to Sold/Transferred. However the comments still say Claim Filed with government, balance being paid by insurance etc..

She has told me everything is ok on her end and that I need to contact EQ directly to ask them to update. I knew that wouldn't work, but I called anyway. They confirmed that they can not delete the comments at my request. The request must come from Sallie Mae.

What is my next step, what else should I do?? Is there someone else at Sallie Mae above the advocate that I can talk to?

Thanks T

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Involver
Valued Contributor

Re: Innacurate Reporting After Rehab

File a complaint with the CFPB.  

Message 2 of 7
TFreshStart
Valued Member

@Involver wrote:

File a complaint with the CFPB.  

I'm not familiar with his process. Would the complaint be against Equifax or Sallie Mae? Does the CFPB have authority to update the reporting?

Thanks

Message 3 of 7
Involver
Valued Contributor

You would file a dispute against Equifax for failing to properly update the information in your credit report even though it has been substantiated by Salle Mae.

Message 4 of 7
bdr1010
Established Member

I am in the same exact dilemma. I have faxed in documents from my rehab showing it has been completed and Sallie Mae still will not remove any lates. The Payment status shows claim filed with government on one and 120 days late on the other two. The comment field shows nothing on one, and defaulted loan on another, and debt being paid through insurance on another. Each time I call, I get the same exact Advocate becaue they have record of everything I have sent in and every every time I have called. I spent about an hour on the phone with TG the company I rehabbed the loan through and they informed me that they sent the request to Sallie Mae to remove the entire thing after I had successfully completed the rehab, but they are not required to remove it and sometimes they don't. But they did say that the loan should not show "claim filed" or "default" anywhere on my credit report, which it does. I have sent in the form from TG that shows I have successfully completed the rehab and Sallie Mae still will not remove or change anything on my reports. The advocate I am stuck with keeps telling me that it is reporting accurately and since they don't own the loan anymore and it has been "closed" they can't do anything about it. Can anyone tell me who to contact or what I need to do next?

Message 5 of 7
martinsoka17
Contributor

Bump on this. I was picked up by Sallie Mae and I'm terrified this same exact situation is going to happen to me. Any advice out there?
Starting Score: 523

Current Scores: EQ: 705 TU: 757 EX: 764

Goal Scores: 800 across the board

in the garden until 2019!
Message 6 of 7
SCF
Valued Contributor

If you have problems getting the default status/comments off after you've tried to work with the lender reporting them I would reccomend filing a dispute with the CRAs.  If that doesn't work either, then I would contact the Student Loan Ombudsman and file a complaint - they should be able to help you work with the lender to get everything reporting accurately.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.