Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inquiry from student loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Inquiry from student loan

Looking on my credit report in April 08, I noticed an inquiry in October 07 from Affinity/ Edu Direct. For the longest time I had no idea what they were or why they would pull my credit report and only this morning it occurred to me they might be my student loan company, ACS. In October 07 I called to talk with them about why they were removing the deferment from my student loans.

At the time they mentioned it was possible that I could qualify for a hardship type of deferment and did ask questions about my income, etc. Granted this was 10 months ago so I don't remember the entire conversation. But I don't recall them saying they would pull my credit. At this point I don't even know why they would do such a thing, because I was under the impression that the reason I was denied was because of my income. Now it's possible that they took my call in and of itself as permission to hard pull my credit report, and admittedly if they had said something at the time I would have told them yes, because I simply didn't know about inquiries and the ding you take when you get them.

However, if they didn't come out and say "I'm going to pull your credit report" would i have any luck getting them to remove the inquiry? And is there really any reason to? I know that the inquiry will stay on until October 09, but it will stop counting in 3 months. I'm not applying for any new credit until I go to get a mortgage, which at the earliest will be Jan-Feb of 09. At which point all but 2 inquiries would fall of my report, and 1 will fall off in Feb of 09.

To my best guess, since I haven't pulled my credit reports since April, there should only be 5 inquiries on my reports right now that count toward my Fico score. Of those 3 should be removed from the Fico score by the end of October of 08.

Assuming of course none of my credit companies, loan companies, do hard pulls without me knowing.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Inquiry from student loan

They have PP-
They should have pulled a soft- you might be able t have the re-code but may be more trouble than it's worth unless you need 5 points in the 3 months.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Inquiry from student loan

@Anonymous wrote:
They have PP-

They should have pulled a soft- you might be able t have the re-code but may be more trouble than it's worth unless you need 5 points in the 3 months.

Thanks for the info, I was wondering about that PP. Kind of still leaves me wondering why they pulled my credit when the more I think about it the more I'm sure they denied me due to income, which I came out and told them.

And I'm not going to ask them to re-code it, it does sound to be more trouble than necessary, considering it will stop dinging in three months.

Thanks again.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.