Valued Member
boosie1979

Is Deferred Student Loan hurting me??

I'm currently a full time student and have about 12K sub/unsub loans. It shows pd as agrees/deferred do lenders look at this a liablity will it be considered if i was to apply for a car loan? Also does it count in my util's? thanks
Moderator Emeritus
Timothy

Re: Is Deferred Student Loan hurting me??

Yes- they should count these as liabilities in DTI

Installment utility is far fewer points than revolving utility -
As soon as these loans go back into repayment and the installment utl goes under 100% you will see a few points.   
Regular Contributor
soccermomof4

I thought I read somewhere that if you can show that payback will not start for more than 12 months (i.e. just started school and still have more than a year left before graduation), the student loan won't count for DTI.  Is this correct?  
TU=564 EQ=??? EX=??? 4/4/06
TU=643 EQ=625 EX=618 1/24/08
TU=678 EQ=651 EX=665 10/24/08
TU=694 EQ=669 EX=??? 9/24/09
TU=706 EQ=691 EX=??? 10/8/09
CH7 BK 2001
Established Contributor
jesslyn

I think that is lender specific.  DTI is usually calculated by the lender with the income information you provide.  Once you have a short list of lenders, I would just call them and ask how they treat it.  I also think it's different for pre-graduation and post-graduation deferrals.  In my experience, they're much more rigid with post-graduation deferrals because it usually indicates some instability.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}