Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Deferred Student Loan hurting me??

tag
boosie1979
Valued Member

Is Deferred Student Loan hurting me??

I'm currently a full time student and have about 12K sub/unsub loans. It shows pd as agrees/deferred do lenders look at this a liablity will it be considered if i was to apply for a car loan? Also does it count in my util's? thanks
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is Deferred Student Loan hurting me??

Yes- they should count these as liabilities in DTI

Installment utility is far fewer points than revolving utility -
As soon as these loans go back into repayment and the installment utl goes under 100% you will see a few points.   
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought I read somewhere that if you can show that payback will not start for more than 12 months (i.e. just started school and still have more than a year left before graduation), the student loan won't count for DTI.  Is this correct?  
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that is lender specific.  DTI is usually calculated by the lender with the income information you provide.  Once you have a short list of lenders, I would just call them and ask how they treat it.  I also think it's different for pre-graduation and post-graduation deferrals.  In my experience, they're much more rigid with post-graduation deferrals because it usually indicates some instability.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.