Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a Perkins Loan federal debt?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is a Perkins Loan federal debt?

Hi everyone. I am in the process of applying for an FHA-insured mortgage, and it came to my attention that any outstanding federal debt can disqualify you. I had a federal student loan (Stafford) in default years ago, but I thought it was satisfied via wage garnishment. Then I checked the federal student loan database and lo and behold, I have an unpaid Perkins loan in default I was unaware of; the wage garnishment didn't cover it. I have dug around for info, and it's in collections (although it's so old it's off my credit report), and I do want to pay it off. However, in the meantime, I guess my question is since Perkins loans are technically given by and repaid to the college and not the government, are they considered federal debt and will having one in default trip up my loan application in CAI? 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Is a Perkins Loan federal debt?

Perkins is a federal loan program that is administered by schools with a revolving pool of federal funds.  Chances are pretty good that this debt is in CAIVRs and can cause you some issues - can your mortgage lender check CAIVRS to see what comes back?

The fastest way to get out of default is to consolidate the loan.  When you consolidate a Perkins loan, you lose some of the benefits that are unique to Perkins, but in the interest of getting a mortgage, I would say that's a fair trade and get the loan back in good standing as quickly as you can.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.