cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone good with federal Student Loans?

tag
tullz85
Frequent Contributor

Is anyone good with federal Student Loans?

Due to a mishap on my lenders side, I've been hit with late fees when I should have had an Economic Hardship Deferment, and now I'm deliquent and showing late payments. They wrote back saying they won't waive them becauese of FFEL - Federal Family Education Loan program.

Anything anyone can suggest?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
LynnInMN
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is anyone good with federal Student Loans?

Deferment filing is always the borrowers responsiblity.  You are expected to have them on file on time...you could probably have downloaded one of the web or had them fax it to you and then back to them. 
Ex-Financial Aid Officer

Ex-Student Loan Collector
Message 2 of 5
tullz85
Frequent Contributor

Ah, does that mean I'm kind of out of luck? I don't know if I can even do a GW letter in this situation Smiley Sad
Message 3 of 5
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@LynnInMN wrote:
Deferment filing is always the borrowers responsiblity.  You are expected to have them on file on time...you could probably have downloaded one of the web or had them fax it to you and then back to them. 

Actually EX-whatever the case may be, processing of the documentation is the responsibility of the loan managment company. Once they have agreed to something, they must note the account and send the proper documents and when recieved process it, the ball is mostly in their court and the process is mostly in their hands, so other than jumping through their hoops, how do you suggest the borrower is responsible for everything? I have dealt with Sallie Mae and Great Lakes on many occassions similar to this and in 100% of the cases both their upper management and Department of Education agreed the fault was theirs and therefore why the penalties and the interests were forced to be adjusted. So there is a limit to how much we throw back at the people and let the loan companies off the hook. Common sense dictates that the borrower has certain responsibilities but that does not make optional or remove the responsibilities of the lender or the management company, to suggest otherwise is plain irresponsible and to say from the position of ex-authority is even more so.

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 4 of 5
tullz85
Frequent Contributor

I very much agree. I understand that it is/was my problem to call about making differnet payment options, but when the lender doesn't follow through even though I verified my information numerous times, I don't see why I have to suffer with a deliquent count. I'm very pleased with the results I received from Great Lakes, but they won't remove the lates that I do not think are my fault!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.