cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to get college transcripts from a private college if you've filed bankruptcy?

tag
missgaonmymind
Contributor

Is it possible to get college transcripts from a private college if you've filed bankruptcy?

I wanted to find out if anyone know if you can still receive your transcripts from a school that will not release them because of a debt you owe them. In 2013, the school where I had been attending and was about 90% done with my Bachelor's degree kept pursuing me to get back into school. I remember the problem being when I last attended is that I was near my aggregate limit as an undergrad and wouldn't have enough to continue. So about a year goes by and the school keeps calling and calling and got me to come in to do the paperwork and financial aid to "see where I stood" as far as aid is concerning. They assured my that I would be ok once I get the green light from the FAFSA I completed, and sure enough I was approved for the tuition/books for the 3 quarters I had left. They made sure I hurried to get in school before the quarter started in which I did. Law and behold, mid-way through the quarter, I get notified that the financial had decision had been reversed and now I was left with a balance which after everything else was applied was around $1800. I couldn't afford a debt like that and I never was able to register for the following quarters until the hold debt was paid. Fast forward, I filed BK listing the debt that was with them and it was discharged. Is there a way I can still obtain my transcripts from them. I desperately want to finish school and want to take advantage of the my job's tuition reimbursement benefit which reimburses up to $7200 a year. Any suggestions?

Current score post Ch 7 10/28/14 discharge : EQ: 729 TU 737 EX 725
Goal scores: 800

Chase Sapphire Preferred- $14k Capital One Venture- $10k; Capital One Spark Business- $5k; Discover IT: $11k, Discover Chrome- $14.5k; Navy Federal Cash Rewards- $7.1k; Navy Federal Go Rewards- $12.4k; AMEX Gold; AMEX SkyMiles Plat- $5k; Macy’s AMEX- $12k
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Is it possible to get college transcripts from a private college if you've filed bankruptcy?

This may be a good question for your bankruptcy attorney.  Once you file for bankruptcy, the debt is gone, but I'm not sure how it impacts the school's policies.  You should also contact the school - if you provide them with proof of the discharge, they may clear the debt and let you have you transcripts.  If they don't, that's when you ask your attorney for a next step.

Message 2 of 3
missgaonmymind
Contributor

Re: Is it possible to get college transcripts from a private college if you've filed bankruptcy?

Thanks a bunch!!
Current score post Ch 7 10/28/14 discharge : EQ: 729 TU 737 EX 725
Goal scores: 800

Chase Sapphire Preferred- $14k Capital One Venture- $10k; Capital One Spark Business- $5k; Discover IT: $11k, Discover Chrome- $14.5k; Navy Federal Cash Rewards- $7.1k; Navy Federal Go Rewards- $12.4k; AMEX Gold; AMEX SkyMiles Plat- $5k; Macy’s AMEX- $12k
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.