Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just An Fyi for anyone who had this issue last week

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just An Fyi for anyone who had this issue last week

BREAKING NEWS – THIS JUST IN

On June 1st, TransUnion has begun back loading (yes that’s right – back loading) old student loan data onto existing consumer credit reports. The data is coming from the US Department of Education so as you can guess it is most likely a huge data file! This data may be can positive data which could increase a consumer’s score, but it also may contain negative data which could lower a consumer’s score. This “new data” even though it may be old, can cause a credit monitoring alert that a new account has been added to your credit report even though the account may be old. It also may trigger an alert that says you have opened a “new” student loan account, but it’s really the result of TransUnion adding the “old” data onto the report.

Many Consumer’s many be caught off guard by the increase or decrease in their credit scores. Credit professionals NEED TO BE PREPARED for a surge in questions on this matter.

10 REPLIES 10
stellar
Established Contributor

Re: Just An Fyi for anyone who had this issue last week

where did you get this information?

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got it from one of my creditboards after I googled it when I dropped 96 points.  If you do a search on Credit Con you will find it.  I know several people that this happened to as well my husband lost 74 points and my sister lost 100. 

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Transunion FAKO dropped 77 points around the beginning of the month.  I assumed that it was because I was disputing my recently rehabbed student loans tradelines, but this makes sense too!  I had 11 student loan tradelines added between my last two credit reports.  I wasn't without the original tradelines though, so I think that it was the "rehab" accounts being added that may have done it, but I swear they were there before...

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought the same thing.  Ironically, I started rehabbing my loans on the 1st so I was sure it was that until both my husband and sister and bunch of others started complaining of a drastic drop as well. 

Message 5 of 11
stellar
Established Contributor

how far back are they adding student loans?  

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine are from 02 and 03.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh no! Just when I think I am about to move past this student loan BS. 

I wonder if EQ is also doing this...? My score dropped 50 pts on Friday after my Overstock card balance dropped from $42->$0. Nothing showing on my credit file yet but now I am expecting it. Thanks for the heads up. This truly sucks. 

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

OMG, I was wondering the same thing. so did mine!  I was depressed all weekend because I have worked so hard. 

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

OMG, I was wondering the same thing. so did mine!  I was depressed all weekend because I have worked so hard. 

Me too! For the last month, it's like every time I expect an increase, I get a decrease. I not prepared for this HUGE drop in score. I was horrified. I stopped working on the GW letters and dispute letters I am 99% down with...just over the weekend though. I am diving back into things and hoping whatever really did cause the decrease will correct itself in the next few weeks. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.