cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just finished student loan Rehabilitation, need help with removing lates/possible GW letter

tag
JMCB
Regular Contributor

Re: Just finished student loan Rehabilitation, need help with removing lates/possible GW letter

Well, I wasn't one of the lucky ones and ran into some bad luck with my rehab. Any advice will greatly be appreciated. Also, others that are about to rehab, read this and BEWARE!

So, when I was about to rehab my student loans, I was reading on these forums about how they delete all the negative information and repost each loan with good remarks. I then Googled student loans rehabilitation. On those pages it stated how they remove the default status from your credit report. So I called up the collection agency that was over my account and we discussed everything. The guy even mentioned how my credit reporting would be fixed. After taking my information, he sent over a contract for me to sign. The contract even stated they would remove the default status.

SO....... Lets clear this up. Remove "default" status. Not remove all the past late marks on the accounts and replace them with positive marks. Basically stating they would remove the "default" status and state your "current" on your loans. Which I think is completely crazy! Because you are only allowed one rehab in your life. If you aren't going to fix my credit profile, then what is the sense of rehab? I could have just caught up on my payments and they would report the loans as current. Or I could have consolidated. So I basically wasted my one in a lifetime rehab for nothing. I seriously got nothing for rehabbing my loans except bring them current.

About my credit report and how it was reported -  I had 14 original student loans, all individually reporting. After not paying them, they all showed late. After they defaulted 180 days in 2014, US Dept of ED decided to group those 14 loans into 3 loans. I'm assuming subsidized loans, unsubsidized loans, and not for sure what the 3rd loan is but is only $3000. They reported these loans as "transferred / in collection". So now I had 17 trade lines being reported all negative by the end of 2014.

Well, after completing rehab, I followed the advice on myFico Forums. 2 days after completion, I filed disputes on all 17 trade lines. Within the first week of the disputes, all 14 loans disappeared off of all 3 credit bureaus. But the 3 "transferred / in collection" accounts that were grouped together, stayed on my credit report for the whole 30 days during the disputes. All 3 credit bureaus came back with a resolution. They declined to delete the 3 accounts. But instead, 2 of the 3 accounts data was deleted and placed with "no data". So all the lates were deleted. But here is the weird part.  The biggest loan amount was left with negative information for Transunion and Experian, Instead they only wiped clean the two smaller loan amounts. But with Equifax, the 2 biggest loan amounts were wiped clean, but the smaller amount was left with negative information. How they wiped away different accounts with different credit bureaus in crazy to me. They couldn't even get that information the same across all the bureaus.

This then led me to contact Dept of Ed because my problem is the reporting of the 3 loans. I never had these loans. I never consolidated these loans. But they have been reporting them since 2014. I've always had the original 14 loans from 10 years ago, not the grouped together 3 loans. I even have the written contract from my rehabilitation from 2015 that states 14 loans and doesn't mention these 3 loans. So in my eyes, its illegal to report 3 loans that I never signed for, I signed for 14 individual loans. Well I got no where with Dept of ED. They told me to contact my new service provider. My new service provider, Great Lakes, took over my account (withing 10 days of completing rehab), I logged into my account. Immediately there was those 3 accounts and not the 14 individual accounts. I called Great Lakes multiple times and tried to get resolution to why they are reporting 3 loans that are grouped together and not the 14 individual loans. They keep stating that the loans were sent over by the Dept of Ed that way and they cant change it. I keep stating I didn't consolidate my loans and they agree I didn't because those 3 would be 1 big loan if consolidated. But still no answer from no one. 

I've disputed multiple times but have got nowhere. So I guess it's somewhat good that only one loan is reporting bad on each of my credit profiles, instead of all 14 loans. But I wish I was as lucky as everyone else and got a clean report. Also, my AAoA took a huge hit. Instead of 14 loans being reported, only 3 report now. And instead of reporting all the way back 10 years, those 3 loans report back to 2014 when Dept of ED grouped them together. Imagine 14 loans that are 10 years old being replaced with 3 loans that are 2 years old. Not to happy about it but I ultimately did it to myself by not paying my bills. I hope this long story helps someone and doesn't go through what I did!

Message 61 of 84
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Re: Just finished student loan Rehabilitation, need help with removing lates/possible GW letter

JMCB , so sorry to hear about all you bad luck with your SL Rehab , yes they are only suposed to remove default stats , but like you said what good does that even do ? Some ppl get really lucky and end up with a clean report . I just finished my Rehab on Sept 11th , I only have one SL but that one loan has 3 separate Tradelines on each report . So far only the collections acct has been deleted , leaving the lates . They have until Oct 20th to finish my dispute so im keeping my fingers crossed that maybe I can get lucky .
Message 62 of 84
JMCB
Regular Contributor

Thanks. And good luck to you too! I hope you're one of the lucky ones. It sounds like they are doing what they did to me. They deleted certain one immediately, but the ones after that, no luck. If you read the people that got everything cleaned up, it all happened at the same time. But you never know! Who is your new service provider?

Message 63 of 84
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Navient is my new servicer for my loan. I guess it wouldn't be too terrible if I didn't get the lates removed , it's not what I was told or what I hope for , but I only have 7 lates total so it's not too crazy I guess but im still hoping for the best anyways .
Message 64 of 84
JMCB
Regular Contributor

From different post and threads, more people have had better luck with Navient. So who knows, those 7 might just disappear! I'll send some positive vibes your way!

Message 65 of 84
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

I hope so , Navient is already reporting my loan to EX and it's backdated , still have the lates left at this point but they have til the 20th to finish the dispute .
Message 66 of 84
JMCB
Regular Contributor

I'm seriously thinking about writing the President, Congressmen, and Reps to try and get a bill wrote up. They seriously need to change this! Rehabilitation is a once and lifetime deal. It's not like you get to do it every time you default. It's supposed to be a way to start over and get you back on the right track. But nobody is talking about the real problem here. You leave college with a degree and $50,000 to sometimes more than $100,000 in debt. You're expected to start making payments in 6 months, expecting you to immediately get a job that can make those high payments. But if you default, they screw up your credit. But to get a good job nowadays, you have to have good credit. Especially with big corporate jobs, banks, and other financial institutions. They check your credit, do background checks, even look up your facebook. So if you do rehab, how do they expect you to get a good job and pay down this debt if they are keeping your credit scores low? They are saying my fall off date is 2021. But can't get a good enough job because of my credit but have to wait till 2021 for this to fall off? They really need to change the laws on student loan rehabilitation. That's why this is all over the news and why so many students aren't paying their student loans. Cant get a job with crappy credit!

Message 67 of 84
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Hey I completely agree with you and the whole system behind SL debts needs to be reformed and esp like you said the Rehab program, it's just not fair that we do everything that we can to get back into good standing and rehabilitate our loans and some of the negative marks are still left which in turn keeps our credit score down . It really sucks ..
Message 68 of 84
JMCB
Regular Contributor

Then my loan rates are as high as 7.5%. Most are 6.8%. But you can get auto loans for 1.99%-2.99% and mortgages for around 4%. That's ludicrous!

Message 69 of 84
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Omg that's absolutely CRAZY RATES !! I got lucky and got locked into some really good rates I guess bc my SL is so **bleep** old my rate is 2.3%.
Message 70 of 84
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.