cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Late payments reported during deferment/forbearance?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Late payments reported during deferment/forbearance?

I have seven student loans that each have late payments reported for a few months during a time period in which they were in deferment.  Should I send documentation of the deferments to the credit bureaus first or should I contact the student loan servicers first?    Also, the deferments were granted retroactively which is why the late payments were initially reported.  Has anyone had late payments removed from the CR's when a deferment is retroactive?    Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!  Cat Very Happy

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Late payments reported during deferment/forbearance?

I would contact the servicer first.  If you can get them to correct the reporting, you'll save yourself the trouble of a dispute.

Message 2 of 3
skigirl916
Established Contributor

Re: Late payments reported during deferment/forbearance?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have seven student loans that each have late payments reported for a few months during a time period in which they were in deferment.  Should I send documentation of the deferments to the credit bureaus first or should I contact the student loan servicers first?    Also, the deferments were granted retroactively which is why the late payments were initially reported.  Has anyone had late payments removed from the CR's when a deferment is retroactive?    Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!  Cat Very Happy

If the deferment/forebearance was applied retroactively, then the lates are accurate and will remain on your report.

Rehab is the only way to get the lates off, and that requires you going into default first, and only for the default period.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.