Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loan Default/Collection Agency--HELP!!

tag
emejia317

Loan Default/Collection Agency--HELP!!

Hi Everyone-

Here is my crazy story-    Got a private student loan with my mom as a co-signer a few years ago; was supposed to start paying it, but I didnt, now the loan went on default; AES had it but now it was given to MRS Collection Agency; which are calling my mom, myself and even cousins and uncles which I feel is completely out of line; can they be doing this?

I am now at the point where I want to start paying this off; but the problem is that I don't know if there is anyway I can do a rehab program now since its in the collection agency.   I called AES and they said now I have to deal with the CA (Collection Agency); but I have read many places that its possible sometimes to get the loan back to AES?

Here is another question; since they are calling everyone like crazy, I am planning to call them monday and tell them that I just sent [will send it Monday] a Debt Validation Letter; in which I ask for certain documents.   Can they still be calling since I will be sending that letter?  This will be the first time I am going to be sending such letter; but I am kind of scared they will say something because they are usually pretty aggressive and mean,they sometimes don't let me talk..

I feel so bad for all this and I regret this every minute of my life, but I guess I just have to learn from my mistakes...  Is there anything else you guys can advice me?

I am still in school, finishing up a nursing school, so I dont have much money; once I told them I could only give so much; they told me aggressively again to talk to my mom [cosigner] and give them more money...  

What do I do?

Thanks in advance,

Eddie

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Loan Default/Collection Agency--HELP!!

Welcome to the forums!  Smiley Happy

As far as calling you & your mother, yes, they can call you.  Are your cousins/uncles listed as references for your loan?  If so, then I believe that yes, they too can be called to try to get information about you & your mother.

I would stop calling them, since you have already said they are being very aggressive & are not willing to work with you a bit.  I would not call them & tell them you are sending a DV letter; it doesn't matter anyway, since they can keep calling you until they actually get the letter.

You said you are still in school....For how long were you on a break, that your loan went into default?

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Loan Default/Collection Agency--HELP!!

I belong to a family owned collection agency and I am so disappointed in the way you are being treated.  While collection laws vary from state to state, it is illegal for anyone to contact anyone other then the debtor to collect the debt.  Let's start with this - you acknowledge that the debt is owed. The next step is to figure out how to pay that debt off.   Keep in mind that while laws also vary depending on what type of collection you have (personal or commercial for example) you must know your rights.  You have the right under the Fair Debt Act to dispute and request proof of debt.  You have the right to request it be disputed and you also have the right to make a payment plan that will work to pay off the debt. 

When the collection agency contacts you again, you tell them that you are disputing the debt because it was co signed.  Tell them that you need proof of the debt which is your right.  That way they will have to note in their computer system that you have disputed the debt and it will be noted on the credit history as well.  Also, tell them that you know your rights and they are engaging in aggresive practices.  Ask for the persons call back number, extention and address of company.   REPORT them to the BBB. You may want to consider calling the ACA which is the american collectors association.  If the agency is aggressive, this agency should be made aware because reliable agency's like mine work to keep our reputations clean. Oweing debt is something that is fixable.  It's the way a company handles the situation that is important.  It seems that their people have been trained to be aggresive.  Our agency works differently.  I would much rather see our people take a 10 a month plan for a long time then intimitade people.  One thing you must know....there is a statue of limitations.  If the debt is old - lets say 6 1/2 years....it is dead in the water (check in your state)  If it is that old you are not responsible any longer.  IF YOU AGREE TO PAY AFTER THAT TIME it's as if the debt is a new debt.  Some agency's will by old debt and then start calling people and the consumer is not aware they are not liable because the limitations have run out. 

Keep in mind that debt collection can be tricky because company's turn the debt over to an agency to collect it.  Sometimes it may be paid off inbetween.  In our agency, we send a note in the mail.  We then send a second and then finally a third.  Each letter must, by law be spaced a certain amount of days apart to allow a person time to pay off the debt.  WHen a debtor has ignored all three letters, they are told via mail that they will be reported to the credit bureaus.  We work with attorney's to make sure that we are following the law. 

I hope that this has helped.   I will not be checking my email again until poss monday but before you call, do some research, know and understand your rights under The Fair DEbt ACT and stand your ground.  Don't be pushed around.  Good luck

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.