Frequent Contributor
WallyxD

Loan repayment information came in the mail today.

Okay, I got mail from the school I attended my freshman year with the repayment schedule and other loan information. The loan was only for 750$ so my payments aren't anything extreme. I have 6 payments of 120$ to make quarterly, and the very last payment is about 70$. My first payment is due on 6/1. How should I go about doing this? I'm in the building, not rebuilding, phase and would like to know what's the best way to go about repaying this.

Is it okay if I make payments from time to time starting with my next paycheck, should I just pay quarterly(as stated on my statement), should I pay monthly instead(as suggested in other papers I received)? What I'm leaning towards doing is just paying a measly 10$ (LOL) every week and if I do that, by the time my first payment is due, I'll have paid off at least 200$ of the loan. What would be the effects of each as far as my report and score go? What should I do to maximize my scores?

AE Store CC: $850 | AEO Visa: $2,300 | CapOne Quicksilver: $1,700 | Citi Forward for Students $1,500 | Walmart CC $1,350 | Chase Amazon: $500 | PayPal Smart Connect: $500 | Discover iT for Students: $500 | Chase Freedom: $500

Gardening until util 30%
TU Fico: 652 (3/11/14)
Community Leader<br> Valued Contributor</br>
Community Leader
Valued Contributor
SCF

Re: Loan repayment information came in the mail today.

Since you're building your credit, and you probably won't pay much in interest (unless you have a crazy rate on that $750), I would just make the payments as scheduled.  That way, when the loan closes, you'll have some months of good payment history and a nice anchor for your average age of accounts.  Good accounts stay on your report for 10 years, so this will benefit you for a while.

Frequent Contributor
WallyxD

It's around 5%, I think in interest it's about 36 bucks. No biggie haha. And making the payments as scheduled, you mean make the quarterly payments? Because somewhere in the packet it suggests that I could also just pay the 40$ a month. But if I were to do it quarterly, (and i may just stick with that), how's the reporting going to work, are they gonna report to the bureau once every three months, which doesn't make sense to me, Or if I make a payment on time, they'll report on time payments for 3 months since each payment essentially covers 3 months worth.?

AE Store CC: $850 | AEO Visa: $2,300 | CapOne Quicksilver: $1,700 | Citi Forward for Students $1,500 | Walmart CC $1,350 | Chase Amazon: $500 | PayPal Smart Connect: $500 | Discover iT for Students: $500 | Chase Freedom: $500

Gardening until util 30%
TU Fico: 652 (3/11/14)
Established Contributor
bahbahd

Most loans don't have a quarterly repayment schedule. This $750 amount seems like it is a loan directly through the school which you will be paying back directly to them. 

Anyway. Months that you do not send a payment and you also have $0 due will still report as paid/ok. Think of it like this. Your first payment due date is Jan 1. You pay a quarterly payment amount. Your next due date will technically be April 1. You loan will be in good standing during that entire time. If you pay $10 a week starting now, when Jan 1 comes up you will probably get a loan statement saying no payment is due till May or June. If it were me, I would just stick to any repayment plan they ask for. I don't know if you are sending in checks or are repaying online through bank transfers. I have a feeling that the school is saying they will accept quarterly payments simply because it is easier and less costly to process less payments. So, they make a few cents or dollars more in the long run.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}