cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Made my 8th PMT...trying to figure out my game plan, any advise?

tag
PresidentPatton
Contributor

Made my 8th PMT...trying to figure out my game plan, any advise?

So I made my 8th PMT on Friday the 3rd, I will make my 9th PMT on the 24th (21 days after last payment to make it the 9th PMT). I am wanting to get everything cleaned up on my CR ASAP in order to get an FHA loan. Does anyone have any tricks that may help me get my CR cleaned up quickly once that 9th PMT is made!?! Any and all help is greatly appreciated...I'm starting to get anxious!

Thanks,

Ry

PresP
2/6/15: Credit Karma: 626
4/23/13: TU 615, EX 600, EQ 581
1/16/13: TU 585, EX 525, EQ 514
Goal: Purchase Second Home ASAP

Cards: Cap1 Secured - $300; Authorized User on Chase Card: $5500.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
PresidentPatton
Contributor

Re: Made my 8th PMT...trying to figure out my game plan, any advise?

Bump! Anyone have any good advise!?!

PresP

Message 2 of 13
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

The only advice I have is to make that first payment to the new lender ASAP. They'll tell you it's not due for a month or two, but the quicker you get the new folks reporting the better.

Message 3 of 13
PresidentPatton
Contributor

Thanks! I will try to make it the day I find out who they are.

Does anyone know how to find out who the new servicer is quickly? I think I have heard people saying that they called the DOE and they told them, how quickly would they know this information?

PresP

Message 4 of 13
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

Ask them when you make your last payment, and if they don't know call 'em back in 7-10 days.

My new servicer actually showed up on NSLDS before I got any kind of notification, so I jumped over to their website and registered as a new account. Within a week my loan information was there and I could start making payments.

Message 5 of 13
kjel
Established Contributor

As far as your CRs updating it's definitely a YMMV kind of thing. I'm 1.5 months out of rehab, have a new servicer reporting, and the DoE defaults and balance are still reporting. I filed a dispute but that takes 30 days.
Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 6 of 13
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

@kjel wrote:
As far as your CRs updating it's definitely a YMMV kind of thing. I'm 1.5 months out of rehab, have a new servicer reporting, and the DoE defaults and balance are still reporting. I filed a dispute but that takes 30 days.

It seems the DOE is not one to report in a timely or accurate fashion.  when my loans were transferred (not after rehab, was never late), the transfer was reported but not the $0 balance.  My $21K in loans appeared as $42K because the balances were being reported by DOE and the new servicer.  My advice is monitor your report(s) closely, and immediately dispute anything that is not accurate.

Message 7 of 13
kjel
Established Contributor

The dispute has been successful for EQ & EX and both have deleted the collection account TLs. 39 point bump!
Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 8 of 13
PresidentPatton
Contributor

Kjel,

This is awesome news! I have heard that disputing is a good way of getting them to remove after you get through rehab as the DOE won't respond to the dispute request. If you don't mind my asking how long after making your 9th payment did you put the dispute in? How did you put your dispute in? And how long did it take for you to find out that these were removed?

PresP

Message 9 of 13
kjel
Established Contributor

@PresidentPatton wrote:

Kjel,

This is awesome news! I have heard that disputing is a good way of getting them to remove after you get through rehab as the DOE won't respond to the dispute request. If you don't mind my asking how long after making your 9th payment did you put the dispute in? How did you put your dispute in? And how long did it take for you to find out that these were removed?

I was out of rehab mid March and picked up by Nelnet almost immediately and they started reporting in April. Based on my credit monitoring with Experian it looked like the closing date for my DoE TLs was the end of the month. It didn't update first couple days in April or May. Since Nelnet was reporting AND the DoE collections account TLs were reporting it looked like my student loan debts was double what it actually was. Ouch.

So I figured why not dispute the collections TLs since rehab was complete and I did receive a letter from DoE saying so and that the default should be removed, etc. I disputed directly through Experian and Equifax, both disputes came back with "negative items deleted" as an action. Because I have daily pulls on Experian I verified that the TLs were deleted. I checked on Equifax for the resolution and it looked like the report did update there as well. It was less than 2 weeks for both of them.

TU is always the odd man out and reports things way differently. I could not figure out what was happening there with the DoE TLs so I decided to dispute 3 of them on Monday. Still waiting on that one to come back.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.