Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making Payments While In Deferment

tag
CostantinoA
Established Contributor

Making Payments While In Deferment

Hello:

I noticed that when I was in deferment before, it kept the account as current and paying as agreed but under payment history, it says no data reported for each month.  I noticed that when I did pay for a month under defrement, it reported payment history for that month instead of no data.  So my question is, while under defrement, it is better to make payments to keep payment history being reported.  correct?  If not, it is there, still "positive" but not doing anything for the credit score.  correct?

Experian - 695 (4Y1M AA, 33 INQ)
Transunion - 686 (1Y5M AA, 30 INQ)
Equifax - 726 (3Y1M AA, 4 INQ)
Total Credit Lines: $99,387
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ddemari
Super Contributor

Re: Making Payments While In Deferment

the fact that you are making payments on your students while they are in defrement is amazing!!! I wish I would have done that when I was in that stage of the student loan process. Making payments now will help you get rid of that debt faster and cheaper. the payment history thing I dont think is that big of a thing because the loans are in defrement, therefore its definitely a good thing its just not going to change much for your fico score, from what I think. keep doing what your doing Smiley Happy 

Message 2 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@CostantinoA wrote:

Hello:

I noticed that when I was in deferment before, it kept the account as current and paying as agreed but under payment history, it says no data reported for each month.  I noticed that when I did pay for a month under defrement, it reported payment history for that month instead of no data.  So my question is, while under defrement, it is better to make payments to keep payment history being reported.  correct?  If not, it is there, still "positive" but not doing anything for the credit score.  correct?

Won't matter score wise, paying early is a financial win though if you can afford it.  Open date, no deliquencies is really all that matters from a payment history perspective, and a no data is equivalent to an OK in the model.  No news is good news for FICO, actually guess that sort of holds true for nearly everything credit scoring wise haha.

        
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m interested to see if you or anyone have had a score increase after making regular payments (in deferment) . I am currently in deferment on my student loans as well. I have just made my first payment, trying to pay down as much as possible while in deferment. Thinking if anything I’ll lower my debt but hopefully raise my credit scores at the same time. The myfico.com simulators show possible increases for making payments.

Message 4 of 5
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Take the Fico simulator with a grain of salt. You already have good info from the posters above. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.