Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making headway on my loans!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Making headway on my loans!

I don't know why I have never posted in this part of the forum before. I just always skipped over it. Anyway, when I graduated with my assoc in December, I swore that I wouldn't allow myself to get into any more student loan debt until I paid off my current student loans. At highest, they were a little over 8k. After my payment today, they will be around 4.5k. I hope to have them paid off by next spring, then maybe I can go back to school for my bachelor's. I know that most people just go straight through, and keep adding to their loans, but my brain just can't handle that. I have always had difficutly knowing that I owe a debt to anyone. Once my student loan is paid off, I will be debt free again. Does anyone else obsess about paying student loans? I know that I shouldn't worry about it, especially with 3.xx% interest being so low, but I hate the fact that I owe them money! Give me your thoughts! Am I being crazy about this?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Making headway on my loans!

Hi Annipoo.  I understand your methodology, but there may be a better approach.  Think long-term.

How are you paying them off now?  If it's a full-time job that's related to your degree and you have future potential there, then I guess a short break to pay off your loans would be okay.  

However, if it's a part-time job and you can't see yourself working there in the future... then why not just finish school ASAP, get a higher paying job with your degree (I know, easier said than done), and pay off your loans relatively faster?

Maybe there's a scholarship out there for you?

The sooner you start your career, the quicker you'll grow (intellectually and financially).  Debt definitely is a burden that no one wants.  I got my bachelors last year and I'm still paying off my student loans;  ~$24k  to go.  I throw as much money as I can per month towards it - loans vary from 3.75% to 6.8%; paying more on the higher interest loans of course. I'll be relieved and happy when they're gone next year.

Throwing in an unpopular opinion as well:  college isn't mandatory.  I have family and friends that never went to college and make as much as I do.  If you really don't want to be in debt and you have the mindset/drive/passion/connections for whatever it may be,  I'd say: go for it.  Life has many paths;  take the one you want.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Annipoo.  I understand your methodology, but there may be a better approach.  Think long-term.

How are you paying them off now?  If it's a full-time job that's related to your degree and you have future potential there, then I guess a short break to pay off your loans would be okay.  

However, if it's a part-time job and you can't see yourself working there in the future... then why not just finish school ASAP, get a higher paying job with your degree (I know, easier said than done), and pay off your loans relatively faster?

Maybe there's a scholarship out there for you?

The sooner you start your career, the quicker you'll grow (intellectually and financially).  Debt definitely is a burden that no one wants.  I got my bachelors last year and I'm still paying off my student loans;  ~$24k  to go.  I throw as much money as I can per month towards it - loans vary from 3.75% to 6.8%; paying more on the higher interest loans of course. I'll be relieved and happy when they're gone next year.

Throwing in an unpopular opinion as well:  college isn't mandatory.  I have family and friends that never went to college and make as much as I do.  If you really don't want to be in debt and you have the mindset/drive/passion/connections for whatever it may be,  I'd say: go for it.  Life has many paths;  take the one you want.

I am working full time as a paralegal in a small law firm. I don't see myself leaving the job anytime soon, as they are offering to fund my testing/licensing to be a non-attorney representative, so that I can represent clients on my own and carry the firm if/when they eventually retire. That being said, I don't think that getting my bachelor's in this specific field would help me advance in my current job. They already know my abilities and compensate me for such, so paying for another two years of school is not going to help me advance in this particular job. I was actually thinking of branching out. Perhaps something in the finance realm, but I have not quite figured out what that should be, yet.

I agree with you that college is not for everyone. I have one brother who never graduated high school who makes more money by working with his hands than his wife makes with her masters (she is in a PhD program currently). My other brother is also in a PhD program, but was making great money with just an associates working for the government. He is bringing home more than his wife who is an attorney. I think I truly have my eye on a bachelor's degree because I thought that I would never be able to afford it. Now I see that it might be doable. I thought that financial constraints would never allow me to get a good degree. Now that it is in sight, I want it., but only if it doesn't cause me to go into a lot of debt. I guess maybe a better option for me would be to save up and pay cash each semester.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It sounds like a bachelor's degree is currently more of a luxury than a necessity for you - unless you decide what type of degree to get.

If you can make your bachelor's work for you, then great!  If not, then I don't see the point in increasing your debt or using a hefty amount of your income to get one.  That's the way I see it.  Either way, I'd respect your decision.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It sounds like a bachelor's degree is currently more of a luxury than a necessity for you - unless you decide what type of degree to get.

If you can make your bachelor's work for you, then great!  If not, then I don't see the point in increasing your debt or using a hefty amount of your income to get one.  That's the way I see it.  Either way, I'd respect your decision.

It is a luxury at this point. That's why I haven't enrolled yet. I really want to be confident that my major will be useful and compliment my career goals. My co-worker suggested that I just get my general studies degree so that I could just get finished quickly, but I would rather concentrate on something that I am interested in. Something financial. Or maybe social work. I'm just not sure at this point. Either way, I am going to keep paying as much as I can on this student loan and get it gone as soon as possible!

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

That clarifies a lot.  Good job paying off those loans!  And good luck!

Message 6 of 7
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

I am a bit like you in the sense that I hate debt. I am currently trying to pay off my student loans, I'll have about $3700 left when I make my payments next week. At the beginning of this year, I vowed to pay off what was left on it by the end of the year (16k) so I had to make some sacrifices in order to make bigger payments on it. It was hard financially, I had to cut down on some things. Spent a lot of time at home but in the end I feel it was worth it since i am almost done.

My advice is you should do what's comfortable for you. I don't think you're crazy for wanting to pay off your loans and then embark on a bachelor. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.