Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical School Private Loan Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical School Private Loan Advice

Hello all,
I’ve been stalking these forums for a while. I’m a non-traditional student and will be starting medical school in the fall. With the advice and techniques I’ve read here I’ve been able to take my credit score from a CK TU- 593 CK EQ- 569 both in November, needless to say I was in bad shape, to a Current CK TU- 727, CK EQ- 762. Fico 8 scores through Experian are showing Experian- 708, Equifax- 657, Transunion- 653.

Experian is now showing clear of all collections. Equifax and Transunion are still showing collections through midland financial, professional credit services (PCS), and enhanced recovery services (ERC). Midland is coming off, because of their newer if accounts older than 2 years old and PIF or paid in settlement they delete it, ERC wouldn’t play ball so I called sprint and asked them to recall the debt and I would pay it in full. They agreed to this so I paid in full waiting for it to fall off now. PCS agreed to a PFD as long as I PIF which I did. Waiting for that to fall off as well. I also had a couple other collections that I was able to get removed by sending DV letters.

I was able to get a credit one charge off taken off of my reports with a GW letter (email). I still have two capital one CO’s that have been paid in for less in settlement back in 2016. I’ve written emails to Capital one and have not gotten so much as a we have received your letter.

I was recently accepted to a newer medical school. Because it’s newer they aren’t elegible for federal loans till 2nd year so first year I will be paying with private student loans. The school I will be attending recommends Sallie Mae or Wells Fargo. I spoke with Sallie Mae today and they said they don’t go by credit score as much as the total credit profile. Does anyone have any advice on how to maximize my chances with Sallie Mae? What exactly are they looking for, anything I should look out for etc.?

I now have a Bank of America Secured card, $1000 CL, Capital One Quicksilver one Card $750 CL, and an AMEX Blue Cash Everyday Card $500 CL. Less than 1% utilization all used every month I’ve had them open but paid off with every billing cycle. Capital one I’ve had 14 months, BofA 8 months and just got the AMEX. Any advice on where to head from here is greatly appreciated.

I need to submit my loan application to Sallie Mae and Wells Fargo by April 20th and I want my profile to be as strong as possible seeing as first years cost of attendance is $81,000. So not being as good as I can be could literally cost me tens of thousands of dollars in additional interest.

Is there something I can do to expedite those collections coming off my credit report such as disputing them through the buruaues or would this just slow it down? And with the Capital One GW letters is there somewhere else I can send them to try and reach someone? Or are emails basically the fastest way as that’s the way I have been trying.

I appreciate all help and advice. I’ve received so much help so far just by stalking, reading, re-reading and so on, and look forward to continuing this journey with all of you.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Medical School Private Loan Advice

If you paid the capital one COs in 2006 (did you mean 2016?) then they should already be off your credit report as negative items only last 7 years.  If so you should be able to get the credit bureaus to remove them.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I’m sorry I did mean 2016.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

you can also apply and get approved within 24 hours with 1.4% repayment plan

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im sorry I am not sure I understand. Apply for Private student loans at 1.4%? Most of the ones I looked at were substantially higher. Even the federal loans were at something like 6% for the grad+ loans. 

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Or were you talking about what the payment would be? And for which bank are you talking about going through? Mainly I have only been looking at Sallie Mae and Wells Fargo but only because those are the ones that the school ill be attending recommends. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.