Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My student loan (not paid off yet) has just dropped of my credit reports

tag
mt2va
Established Contributor

My student loan (not paid off yet) has just dropped of my credit reports

Is there anything I can do about Sallie Mae is no longer reporting my student loans?  I just had occasion to pull TU & EX and I just realized it's not reporting on either one.  This is my oldest trade line with an opening date somewhere around 1993.  I'm still paying on this loan so it's giving me a very long positive payment history. 

I sent them an email to find out what is going on but wondered if this had happened to anyone else or they no longer report & I missed it or something?  I have no doubt this has negatively impacted my score (well along with all my other credit issues) as I'm sure it has put me into a different bucket for scoring purposes. 

Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

Re: My student loan (not paid off yet) has just dropped of my credit reports

You can call but i believe they don't HAVE to report it. It's just the information they do report must be accurate.

Message 2 of 7
mt2va
Established Contributor

They replied that I have to send copies of my credit reports and send a request in writing.  I know they don't have to but I find it odd that they've quit reporting after all this time and they are my oldest TL still reporting.  I'm pretty sure this is hurting my AAOA.  My next oldest TL are from 2009.  

Message 3 of 7
navistar
Regular Contributor

could it be helping your debt to income ratio? it would certainly help mine. lol

MyFico Equifax - 691
MyFico Experian - 692
Barclay Transunion - 682 (Last Updated 03/21/14)

Citi Diamond Preferred - $2,300 / Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage - $5,600 / Barclay - $4,600 / GE Care Credit - $1,000
Current Utilization - 52% / AAoA - 6yrs
Message 4 of 7
mt2va
Established Contributor

I only owe about $900 on it but since the interest rate is only 4.12% and it's my oldest trade line I haven't been in a hurry to pay it off.  But I find it odd that it's just dropped from my credit reports and I'm not actually too keen on having to make copies of all 3 of my credit reports to mail to them so they can "research" it.  Seems like they could just start reporting it again. 

Message 5 of 7
tjeff
Valued Member

Is it listed on the closed account section of the credit report? If so, I suggest you dispute it. 

Message 6 of 7
mt2va
Established Contributor

No it's not on my credit report at all and it's my oldest TL.  (from 2001 I believe)  My next oldest are a bunch of CC that went to charge-off/collections from 2009 so that's quite a loss in my AAOA I'm thinking.  It's not paid off.  In fact one of the reasons I haven't paid it off sooner is that the interest rate is only 4.12% and I figure it's looking good on my credit report to have it paid on time all those years.  (I had a couple 30 day lates but they have dropped off because they were more than 7 years ago)

Any other positive accounts I had that were that old have dropped off my report because it's past the 10 years.  Sometimes it's better to keep an account open I think.  I've had credit since 1992, but looking at my report you would never know it because all those accounts are long gone.  I do have a couple old car loans still reporting closed, paid as agreed.  (although one of these only shows up on 1 CR and not the other 2 and when I contacted them about it they couldn't help me) 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.