cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NELTNET 90 days late payment....can you help me sort this out?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NELTNET 90 days late payment....can you help me sort this out?

Hi folks...

I have had student loans through nelnet for over 10 years, and have never had a missed payment or been in default...EXCEPT.....as reported on my credit report, 90 days late on the five loan accounts with nelnet...(there are five separate loans).  

The default, in my opinion, was due to my error, and their confusing documentation is difficult to track.  I had a letter saying my loans were in deferment until 2010....that letter predates the 90 days late time period, and the 90 days late time period SHOULD have been covered as deferred.  However, apparently they received note that I had dropped to less than half time as a student, and so my loans were automatically no longer in deferment.  It easily could have been overlooked by me, they send MONUMENTAL amounts of mail to me and it all looks the same, I could have ignored it if they notified me.  However, that semester I took 18 credits, which is why I would not have expected any cancellation of deferment.   The sneaky part here  is 12 of those credits were CLEP exams, which I intentionally lightened my course work load for because I knew I would need time that semester to study and prepare for the tests. All told, I earned 18 credits that semester, but the university considered me less than part time since only 6 of those credits were actual courses.

Whats my best way to pursue this....it is quite bad to have it look like FIVE 90 day late accounts, even though I treat the payment as one payment.  I am thinking of a GW letter explaining it similarly to how I explained it here.  The late payment period is from 2005..I ordered a full history of my account through nelnet...reading their documentation is very difficult, but I have it. 

What do I do?  I would love to get this deleted from my credit report. 

thanks a million, as always!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NELTNET 90 days late payment....can you help me sort this out?

They are incredibly difficult to work with on this--I had a similar probelm--it was supposed to be in deferment and it was communicated to me that it would not show as late--however, several loans showed 90 days late.

I have called them several times, spoken with different reps, etc.  Nothing.  Also put a BBB complaint against them...they still would not budge--they said I would have to take it up with the CRA's...however, all the bureaus do is verify with Nelnet so it doesn't work.

I'm at a loss...maybe a GW letter would work...perhaps that should be my next step....

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NELTNET 90 days late payment....can you help me sort this out?

Yes, I agree, maybe they should be called Nullnet since they are unwilling to do ANYTHING!  I did speak with them, and said that for 10 years my record has been perfect, didn't it make SOME sense that if there was a 90 day late payment that perhaps something was amiss, since my payment schedule was perfect otherwise. 

I was thinking of writing a goodwill letter, too...just a try, and maybe write it again and again and just keep trying.  I also know that writing a note to include on your credit report for this particular problem can be helpful, especially if your CR is not loaded with other problems, and this one stands out as different from your "typical" credit behavior, then maybe it would have an impact on how your credit report was perceived.   Can't hurt, I suppose. Thanks for your time, I'll post back here if I have any luck! 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.