Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navient - 90 days past due hit credit report

tag
dannyz21
Established Member

Navient - 90 days past due hit credit report

Hello,  I recently got hit with a 90 day late payment from Navient because of my past due student loan payments.  I know they only report once the account is past due 90 days, so I make sure to make at lease one month's payment before it crosses over 90 days.   About two weeks ago, I chatted with an online agent of Navient and I asked how many days past due my account was because it's a litte difficult to tell on their website.  She replied that as of 8/28/17, the account was 60 days past due, which meant I had until 9/29/17 till it became 90 days past due.   However, I just got hit with a 90 day late on my credit report yesterday.  I chatted again with Navient and the person I chatted with said 8/28/17 was the 90 day mark.    I told her that on the previous chat I was told it was only 60 days past due and she referred issue to a supervisor who will go thru my chat transcript to verify that the agent did give me wrong info.   My question is - should I expect Navient to remove the 90 day late (assuming I do make a payment right away) because I was given incorrect information?   If they do not remove, would disputing the 90 day late through the credit bureau be the way to go?  Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

Re: Navient - 90 days past due hit credit report

Why do you wait until the 90 day threshold to pay? Why not just pay on time and keep current. 

Message 2 of 5
LindysMom
Regular Contributor

i was told if i did a loan modification and make three consecutive on-time payments, mine would be removed.  navient is NOTORIOUS for misinformation. they DO NOT remove lates- just read a few threads  

if these loans are federal, and you cant afford the payment, call and ask for income based repayment.  it will be easier than you attempting to pay before the 90 day mark.

navient reports at the 60 day mark, in my experience, but BY LAW they can report after 30 days. 

if the loans are private they do have an interest only option, but it doesnt last forever.  they will be adamant that private loans are not governed the way federal loans are and they "do no favors" with their own lending rules.

it sounds like youmare attempting to stay with the loans somewhat,  but i would strongly encourage you to be in front of them rather than behind.

in all honesty, they are the WORST creditor ive ever done business with and the least forgiving.  i truly believe they are a predatory lender.

My FICO Scores:
9/17: EQ - 542 / TU - 535 / EX - 506 // Mortgage: 553, 545, 486
10/ 17: EQ - 558 / TU - 563 / EX - 586 // Mortgage: 554, 568, 536
11/17: EQ - 630 / TU - 589 / EX - 614 // Mortgage: 606, 606, 572
12/17: EQ - 630 / TU - 624 / EX - 619 // Mortgage: 584, 612, 671

9/18: EQ - 676 / TU - 676 / EX - 643 // Mortgage: 652, 628, 606

Journey Milestones: Completed Federal Student Loan Rehab in Sept 2017. Settled First Premier Bank CC in August 2017. Constant uphill battle with Navient incorrect reporting on seven (7!) private student loans. No TLs listed in delinquency. Obsessively keeping 2 CC UTI @ 7-9% monthly.

End Goal: Pre-Approval for FHA Spring/Summer 2018 (COMPLETED)
New End Goal: 700+ Spring 2019
Message 3 of 5
iced
Valued Contributor

@dannyz21 wrote:

Hello,  I recently got hit with a 90 day late payment from Navient because of my past due student loan payments.  I know they only report once the account is past due 90 days, so I make sure to make at lease one month's payment before it crosses over 90 days.   About two weeks ago, I chatted with an online agent of Navient and I asked how many days past due my account was because it's a litte difficult to tell on their website.  She replied that as of 8/28/17, the account was 60 days past due, which meant I had until 9/29/17 till it became 90 days past due.   However, I just got hit with a 90 day late on my credit report yesterday.  I chatted again with Navient and the person I chatted with said 8/28/17 was the 90 day mark.    I told her that on the previous chat I was told it was only 60 days past due and she referred issue to a supervisor who will go thru my chat transcript to verify that the agent did give me wrong info.   My question is - should I expect Navient to remove the 90 day late (assuming I do make a payment right away) because I was given incorrect information?   If they do not remove, would disputing the 90 day late through the credit bureau be the way to go?  Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks.

Quick answers to your questions:

1. Don't expect Navient to remove the 90 day late. They might, but it's a rare thing for them to do.

2. Disputing won't help unless you can prove you weren't 90 days late. It might even do more damage as Navient could update your report to show all of the 30/60 lates as well.

On the bright side, late payments aren't permanent on your report. Get current and stay current and you'll be clean again in 2024.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't really understand why you're stetching your payments out 90 days. As others have said if you can't make the payments there are income based payment plans available. When I was sick and out of work Navient reported a couple of my lates after 30 days. Constantly going 90 days behind is just piling up the unpaid bills and does not sound like a financially viable option. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.