Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navient Cosigner Release Questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navient Cosigner Release Questions

When I went to college I didn't have mch credit history and my parent's credit wasn't great either due to BK, so my grandfather cosigned on my private loan from Sallie Mae (now Navient). Now that I'm looking more into my credit, I would like to remove him as cosigner, especially consdering his age and the fact that if he passes my loans will go into auto-default (according to Google). I meet all the requirements, so that's not an issue. The issue is I just applied for three credit cards, my first cards as primary account holder, and so have 2 inqs on TU and EQ and 3 on EX. My question is threefold:

1. Should I wait until those inquiries have aged a bit before going forward with this? Will those inquiries hurt my chances of being approved for the release?

2. Should I be concerned that I have one 60 day late payment showing on my report for 4 student loans (all one payment) with another servicer? They're 4.5 years old. Should I wait for them to fall off in 2.5 years?

3. What kind of credit score are they looking for? My scores are good but not great and will likely drop a bit once my new accounts begin reporting. Should I wait for those accounts to age a bit?

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Navient Cosigner Release Questions

If you meet all of the requirements, I would go ahead and submit your request to remove your co-signer.  The worst that happens is that they deny your request and give you information about why.  If you have a good payment history with them, income that allows you to comfortably make the payments, and no major recent negatives, I think you'll be OK.

Message 2 of 3
ddemari
Super Contributor

Re: Navient Cosigner Release Questions

agree totally, I filled out this form about 8 months and released my mom from my sallie mae private loans. you can get the form under documents tab on your navient landing page. 

Screen Shot 2016-04-27 at 2.24.15 AM.png

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.