Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navient student loans (private) lates

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navient student loans (private) lates

We are trying to get approved for a mortgage and we were denied due to my husbands private student loans showing late up to 120 days.  The reason this happened is because my husband put a deferment in for his student loans, but they only deferred his government loans, not private.  He is current at this time, but late status shows on our credit report through January 2015.  Will navient remove the lates if requested?  Could we pay off the smaller loans and request a positive credit reporting in exchange?  I don't know what to do and I don't want to mess our score up anymore than it currently is.  Any advice would be great.  It shows as:

August 60 days late, September 90 days late, Oct, Nov, Dec 120 days late and now it's current again.  That has been the only late payments we've had on all of our lines of credit and it was from a mistake.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Navient student loans (private) lates

You can certainly request a goodwill adjustment of the reporting, but based on what you've said, the lates are accurate and they do not have to do so.  You should definitely gather any documentation you got from Sallie Mae that was confusing or lead you to believe that your private loans were included in the deferment.  There are some threads here about what contacts folks have used to successfully request GW in the past, hopefully you can get someone who cares to listen to your specific situation and work something out.

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great new!  My husband called Navient this morning and explained the situation.  Since he has always had a good payment record with them they told him to send in a goodwill letter and overnight it to the person he talked to.  They said they will try and get it removed from his reports before April 1st.  I'm so happy, but will feel the most relieved when I see the credit report changes. :-)  A big victory for us.  It looks like this mortgage thing might work out afterall.

Message 3 of 15
Creditobsessed12
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Great new!  My husband called Navient this morning and explained the situation.  Since he has always had a good payment record with them they told him to send in a goodwill letter and overnight it to the person he talked to.  They said they will try and get it removed from his reports before April 1st.  I'm so happy, but will feel the most relieved when I see the credit report changes. :-)  A big victory for us.  It looks like this mortgage thing might work out afterall.

I was in a similar situation and they removed my  lates too!  It was like 84 lates but they were from 2 years ago.  My credit report was updated within 48 hours.  They make the changes very fast.  Smiley Happy

11/30/14 EQ 545 TU 573 EX 602 01/15 EQ 545 TU 586 EX 589
02/15 EQ 643 TU 627 EX 669 03/05/2015 EQ 708 TU 744 EX 707
05/2017 EQ 659 TU 676 EX 683
Goal: 700s across the board Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 15
guydiver
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That's great news. Congratulations. 

Message 5 of 15
pea_jay

Would anyone post the number they called or PM it to me?  I have some lates from a similar situation back when SM had my loans back in 2011.

Message 6 of 15
tiger_uppercut
Established Contributor

@pea_jay wrote:

Would anyone post the number they called or PM it to me?  I have some lates from a similar situation back when SM had my loans back in 2011.

I've had success going through the office of the customer advocate: https://www.navient.com/about/who-we-are/leadership/advocate/default.aspx

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just spoke to a Navient "supervisor" a moment ago regarding good will adjustments for a private loan (bar study). She stated that she worked for Sallie Mae in the past and that neither Sallie nor Navient will grant a "good will" adjustment if the late payment was properly reported. I plan on conducting some additional research and then possibly contacting local politicians in the future. This this "policy" seems rather draconian.
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

My GW letter was denied by Navient last week. Been on time for >2.5 yrs. One short string of lates within an 8 yr loan history and was told no can do. It stings but all the advice on this board says to keep trying.
Message 9 of 15
iowe
Regular Contributor

I'm in the same boat. I have something like 80 lates across the three bureaus from 2008-2009 with Sallie Mae. Those lates are the biggest anchor for my credit score currently. I hope I can get the same stroke of luck that a few here have had. My expectations are low, but my hopes are high. Smiley Indifferent

2024 Goal: To finally be debt free
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.