Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help Understanding New Student Loan Service Company Please

tag
golfitup

Need Help Understanding New Student Loan Service Company Please

First time poster, long time lurker Smiley Tongue

I need help understanding my loan and also I have a few questions regarding my plan of attack. I am 25 y/o trying to repair my credit after a few issues . . . 

I have federal student loans that were originally serviced by the Department of Education. They were reported as 7 different loans for the different semester I attended school (I guess?). I was ignoring my loan during a recent time of financial struggle after using up my post-school deferrment. All of my student loan accounts showed payed as agreed thru March 2013 on my 81 month payment historys (due to in-school and post-school deferrments). When my post-school defferment was over, my accounts imediatly began to fall late. It was last reported in April 2013 as 90 days late on each of the 7 accounts. Recently, each account has been closed and Transferred/Sold to Great Lakes. Each of the 7 accounts show my date of first delinquency at 02/13 and account closed 05/13.

I have begun forbearance with Great Lakes and my CR should show a good beginning relationship with Great Lakes with no late payments in June. My PROBLEM is with those 7 closed accounts with the "US DEPARTMENT OF EDU AFSA". They are showing 7 late payments of 90 days. WHAT CAN I DO TO ATTACK THE LATE PAYMENTS?!?!?

I asked Great Lakes since they are they new account servicer if they could makes changes to the previous account. They told me no. Is this correct?

Is my only option to contact the Department of Education and request "goodwill" adjustments to those accounts?  

Thanks!!!

Rome wasn't build in a day, and apparently the same could be said for my credit . . . lol
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Need Help Understanding New Student Loan Service Company Please

@golfitup wrote:

Is my only option to contact the Department of Education and request "goodwill" adjustments to those accounts?  

Unless those lates are incorrect, yes.  If you have paperwork to prove you were still in deferment or made the payment in one of the months reported late, then call the DoE and try to get them to resolve it.  If the lates are correct though, goodwill letters are your only resort.
Message 2 of 5
kjel
Established Contributor

+1

You also might consider consolidating your loans which will result in 1 or 2 loans depending on the type of loans the 7 you have now are. More than likely you'd end up with a lower payment as well.

Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 3 of 5
golfitup

Called Direct Loans last night. The lady I spoke with was named "Daisy". She advised me to send a Goodwill letter to the Processing Department explaining my situation. She gave me a Processing Department fax number and said that after I sent it in, that it would take up to 30 days to receive a response. She told me that they could remove all late payments after discussing my situation. I hope it work out!

Has anyone tried this before with Direct Loans? Any luck out there?
Rome wasn't build in a day, and apparently the same could be said for my credit . . . lol
Message 4 of 5
kjel
Established Contributor

I have not but am considering it, the worst they are going to say is no. They are so slow to so anything. If you wouldn't mind could you PM me the fax number?
Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.