Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help deciding what to do

tag
ashber
Established Member

Need help deciding what to do

Right now I have $3,289 in a subsidized student loan. In June I lose my job of 4 years and I plan to go to summer quarter at my university. They are doing a new pell grant starting this summer for only summer quarter. I think that will help and pay all of my tuition, but I will still have to pay for rent, insurance, wsg, electric, and gas. I will be moving close to my school so that I can walk to school. I am using my financial from this next quarter to pay for my car payment and cell through summer (coming out of separate account and will just leave the money in there). I also am saving up to move and all, especially since the rent here will be more expensive then close to the school. I live about 45 mins away. ANYWAYS, the point of this post is to see if I should take out an additional amount that will be subsidized. I will be going full time, with 2 of the classes being fast paced (6 weeks instead of 10 weeks). I am thinking of finding a part time job after the classes, but I am not sure if I will find one or not. So, should I take out an additional $3,600 to pay for my bills? What would you do??

Next question, when school starts in the Fall, I will be going full time again. My adviser told me I need to focus on setting myself apart when I graduate to employers especially since the economy isn't that good. My bills mentioned above will be paid with financial aid, or maybe minus 100 or 200. I'm not sure yet, but that won't include any household items I may need: paper towels, shampoo, etc.. I thought about joining the accounting club at my school and being an officer as well as volunteering in a leadership capacity (it has to be something that shows leadership). This will already take a lot of my time with going full time in upper level classes. I am working now and have no time for extracurricular activities. I thought about maybe working a couple hours a week. I work at a pizza place Fridays 10am-1pm. But who knows if I can find a job working little hours like that. I am wondering if I should take out a like 250 a quarter to off set this expenses. This would allow me to focus on school and getting my resume pretty without having to stress over money. I would have financial security.

These are my ideas. I just don't want to spend a lot of time looking for a job when I could be working towards my career. I will be graduating with enough credits for the CPA exam in August 2011. My bosses who I nanny for, are moving to England for a year. They are very rich and said they could get me a job at one of their family members business. So I have a potential job offer. When I starting working I plan to pay off my loan. I will keep my expenses at a minimal. Say I have an extra $800, I will put $400 towards the loans, $300 towards saving an emergency fund, and $100 for myself to spend. I am trying to be financial responsible and I wonder what is the best thing I could do for myself and getting a job in the future. Please give me all your thoughts and ideas. Thank you for reading this! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Desneige
New Contributor

Re: Need help deciding what to do

Wow, I wish that I had thought like that when I was still in college.  Alot of what you do is going to depend on how uncomfortable you are with little money available.....these are very personal decisions.  I would take whatever subsidized loan you think you might need.  There are options after school if you are unable to find a job.  If you can find the time, you might consider some type of internship to set you apart from other new graduates.  A few hours a week in an accounting office might be enough to get you some real legit references.  You sound very motivated, I wouldn't hesitate to hire you.  Sorry if this isn't as helpful as you might like, but it sounds like you're on the right track.
Message 2 of 3
ashber
Established Member

Re: Need help deciding what to do

I would try to look for an internship. I think they do a job fair in September/October and it may include hiring for internship for the current year. You can only usually apply for an internship a year before it starts for some reason, or the fall before the summer. But I think I have passed all the deadlines. I will talk to my career counselor closer to summer/fall. I have to be in the accounting major before applying, and I will be starting Summer 2010. I will ask though, because I am sure that there might be something out there. And those internships I believe are paid. I read somewhere that all accounting internships are paid. That would be my first choice.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.