Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need input - SL reporting

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need input - SL reporting

On my TU report, I have one baddie reporting a balance. It's for roughly $3500 for a SL in collections. The SL is reporting under one name, but received collections request in the mail from a CA. The CA is not on my CR.

Is PFD a possibility? If yes, do I do this through the CA or the name on the CR? I'd really like to get this off my TU as no other baddies are reporting a balance and only my new credit cards would be reporting balances once this is removed. If PFD is not an option, what's my next best move?

Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need input - SL reporting

Are these costs that you owe directly to the school? Are they federal loans? Are they private loans with a bank? Depending on the where the money came from will determine on how to move forward. 

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not a private SL with a bank.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any feedback? This one isn't reporting to TU under Dept of Education like the others that I'm doing in the SL rehabilitation program. It also doesn't report as the CA that has sent me mail. It appears to be it's own federal SL not applicable to the rehabilitation program.

Thanks!
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
It's not a private SL with a bank.

What does this mean? Where did you get the student loan from?

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for replying rookie. I provided more details above. It's a federal loan that's not reporting under the dept of ED or the CA that's reached out.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it's a federal loan, then you should call the servicer ASAP and ask what are your options. You do not want to go into default on that loan. 

Just an FYI..the Dept of Education is only an "information bearer". They are not the holder of any loans. Their job is to report the information your loan servicer supplies them. If you don't know who the loan servicer is, then call the Dept of Education. They can tell you who has your loan. 

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

So the assertion is that I deal with the entity reporting on my CR for options rather than the CA that has sent me mail, correct?
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. That is correct. If you must go through the collection agency, let the loan servicer tell you that when you speak to them. Also ask about options for loan rehabilitation if it's in default or loan consolidation.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.