Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some advice

tag
Sputney23
Valued Member

Need some advice

Hi.. Im not exactly sure if im posting this in the correct place(so plz forgive me)

I recently looked up some of my credit scores and I found out that my brothers student loan is on my credit report..

What kind of actions do I need to take to get these removed..I guessing this is why my credit scores are low for Transunion and Equifax its reporting to those two..

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Balance$2,775$678$0
High Balance$2,750$1,648$0
Debt to Credit Ratio101%41%

0%

EQ 700 Trans 695 Exp 722
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: New some advice

Why are these accounts on your report?

Is it a mistake?  Do you and your brother have similar names, went to a similar school, something like that?

Or is it because you are listed as a co-signer on the loan?  If you co-signed on the loan for him, you may not be able to get them removed from your report at all.  Some lenders will remove a co-signer, but generally not until the loans are in good standing and the primary borrower can show that they have the credit and income to be responsible for the loans on their own.

Once we know why the accounts are there, we can help you formulate some next steps.  If you don't know, it would be good to talk to your brother and ask to see the paperwork to make sure you weren't listed as a co-signer without your knowledge.

Message 2 of 7
Sputney23
Valued Member

Yes we have similar names.. I never co-signed

I called him and told him about it and he didn't understand why it was on my record

Actually when I put in my social it brings up his name(Just weird)

EQ 700 Trans 695 Exp 722
Message 3 of 7
SCF
Valued Contributor

It sounds like you and your brother are going to have to do some work to be sure that what's on your credit reports is yours, and monitor the situation.  When you put your social in, where does it show his name?  On this website?

I honestly don't know a lot about this situation, but there are people in these forums who do.  Maybe post the details in the Rebuilding Your Credit forum?  This may take some work to get the CRAs reporting correctly, and you should also verify with the original lender that they have all of the correct information (exact name and social) on file.

Message 4 of 7
Sputney23
Valued Member

Ok.. Im trying to see now what would be the steps to get him off my report..

His name pops up on my Equifax and Transunion

EQ 700 Trans 695 Exp 722
Message 5 of 7
bahbahd
Established Contributor

His name and your name? When he does the same with his social, what does he see on his reports? I would get full reports for both of you using the free annual credit reports offered.

Message 6 of 7
Sputney23
Valued Member

i got him to call Sallie Mae to see if they had all of his info correct and it was..

But its still on my credit report.. I put in a dispute for Equifax and Transunion telling them the problem..

Hopefully something comes out of it

EQ 700 Trans 695 Exp 722
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.