cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some help understanding my salliemae loan...

tag
workingprogress
Regular Contributor

Need some help understanding my salliemae loan...

Can you good people out there help me to try and understand my student loan a bit better..I have a lot of student loan late payments reporting and at this time they are the only thing thats negative on all my reports..my loan started with salliemae and now reports as dpt ed/salliemae and its showing 15 late payments with some as late as 150 days..These  late's are killing my scores...Anyway's i see that about all the late payments reporting is during forbearance periods..I thought while in forbearance that i wouldn't be be hit with late charges.. Below is the records from dpt/salliemae..Is there anything here that i might can dispute ?

Loan records...Our records show your loans were in the following statuses:

Grace: January 8, 2008 to July 7, 2008
Repayment: July 8, 2008, to, July 25, 2008
Forbearance: July 26, 2008, to, December 25, 2008
Repayment: December 26, 2008, to, April 25, 2009
Forbearance: April 26, 2009, July 25, 2009
Repayment: July 26, 2009, to, August 17, 2009
In-School Deferment: August 18, 2009, to, May 15, 2010
Repayment: May 16, 2010, to, October 25, 2010
Forbearance: October 26, 2010, to, October 25, 2011
Forbearance: October 26, 2011, to, May 25, 2012
Forbearance: May 26, 2012, to, July 25, 2012
Repayment: July 26, 2012, to, Present

Credit reports show the following

Tranunion reports salliemae/dpt ed combine 15 lates with the biggest being 120 days past due

15 times (Apr 2012, Mar 2012, Feb 2012, Sep 2011, Aug 2011, Jul 2011, Jun 2011, May 2011, Apr 2011, Mar 2011, Feb 2011, Jan 2011, Dec 2010, Oct 2010, Sep 2010) and the biggest late is 120 days and the status says paid or paying as agreed.

Equifax reports seprate with a zero balance for Sallimae and 90+ days late 11 times (Jul 2011, Jun 2011, May 2011, Apr 2011, Mar 2011, Feb 2011, Jan 2011, Dec 2010, Oct 2010, Sep 2010) and the status says was 120+ days past due  but it only shows 10 lates ?

Then  Equifax reports dpt ed/slm with the balance and 5 lates 90+ days late 5 times (Apr 2012, Mar 2012, Feb 2012, Sep 2011, Aug 2011) and the biggest late is 120 days and the status says pays account as agreed.

Then Exprian reports seprate for sallimae with zero balance and 90+ days late 11 times (Jul 2011, Jun 2011, May 2011, Apr 2011, Mar 2011, Feb 2011, Jan 2011, Dec 2010, Oct 2010, Sep 2010) and the status says tranferred to another department  but again it only shows 10 lates and also its reporting 5 150 day lates while the others report different..is this a case for inaccuracy ?

Then it reports as dpt/ed slm with the balance and late 5 times (Apr 2012, Mar 2012, Feb 2012, Sep 2011, Aug 2011) with biggest late being 150 day and it reports 3 times...also it notes that Current account/was delinquent 180 days or more past due date

I'm really confused with all of this...Don't understand how the reports show different dates and late payments and again i thought i wouldn't get hit with lates while in forbearance....Any help or advice is much

appreciated.

Starting Fico scores 6/29/1013
Experian 584 / Equifax 639 / TransUnion 598
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
missjae
Established Contributor

Re: Need some help understanding my salliemae loan...

I'm not too familiar with Sallie Mae, but were the loans federal or private? I only ask because I read something about SM charging a forbearance fee to private borrowers prior to 2012. Here's the article: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/03/education/sallie-mae-to-change-forbearance-fee-policy.html?_r=0

Aside from that, if you have federal loans, you shouldn't have to make a payment while in forbearance. You can contact their corporate offices about the dispute, the federal student aid ombudsman, and dispute inaccurate information with the CRA's.

I'm no expert, but I have several federal student loans services by FedLoans. They are a piece of work themselves.
Message 2 of 10
SCF
Valued Contributor

My guess would be that some of the lates may be incorrect, but some of them are tied to the several periods where your loans were in repayment.  Did you make all of the scheduled payments during that periods on-time?  I'm not positive, but I don't think forbearance neccessarily brings the loan current.  It may be that any missed payments during those times continue to be past due and accrue fees, etc. even during the forbearance.

Why did your loans enter repayment?  Do you have documentation supporting the dates that the loans were in forbearance?  Have you contacted Sallie Mae and had them walk you through what is going on with the loans?

Message 3 of 10
workingprogress
Regular Contributor

missjae.....thank you for replying..My loans a are federal..i'm going to try and contact the corporate offices this week and see if can get something going.

Message 4 of 10
workingprogress
Regular Contributor

SCF....I recall being late a couple times but to be honest my memory lacks when that was and i never did really keep up with my loan records like i should...How ever i don't think i have been late like the reports are showing unless i was badly mixed up on my end...As far as the loan repayment goes i'm not sure on..I just recall back then i started getting calls about it was coming out of forbearnance and i had to start paying it again..I have had a lot happen in my personal life since my loan was taken out and i have not kept track on it like is should have..I kinda had a mind set during my schooling and after that salliemae would keep up to date on things...Kinda relied on them as a reminder i guess and that wasnt good on my part..I have spoken with them on the phone about it yet..Friday i emailed them and asked for a complete history of my loan records and the above detailed time frame is what they emailed me back...those forbearance dates i listed above is what they sent me,

Message 5 of 10
workingprogress
Regular Contributor

Update... I spoke with salliemae on the phone and they said the lates was reporting accurately and said I had some lates that wasn't taken care of before going into forbearance and the lates carried on and kept reporting as new lates. As for the start of repaying it was because my forbearance had ran out.The rep said I have everything caught up and in good standing and he said I caught it up by consistent payments.I do recall before the repaying started they did raise my payment so I guess it was to help catch up the lates...

However though it appears i do have some inaccurate reporting from salliemae on my credit reports..On my EX and EQ they are reporting 2 different lines for the same loan and they all have different status.On EX the first one reports as just salliemae with a zero balance and the staus shows (account transferred to another office) and the rep said they never transferred the loan..He said they have all ways had it and still have it and that shouldn't be reporting like that.Now for the second one on EX its reporting as dpt of ed/salliemae with balance and the status on it is ( current account was delinquent 180days or more past due ) and the rep said it should be reporting as pays account as agreed.

Now on EQ it reports as 2 different line like on EX..Salliemae on there is reporting zero balance and the status says 120+ days past due and for the second one reporting as  dpt of ed/salliemae its reporting the balance and the status says pays account as agreed..

One TU it reports as one loan and the status on there says pays account as agreed also...

The rep told me to send in a CR and a note about the problem and they would look at it..He also said contact the CA and ask them why it's like that.

Has anyone had a problem like this that might can give me some advice on how i should proceed ? This seems like a mess and i think it may take a while to get anything done with salliemae..

Message 6 of 10
workingprogress
Regular Contributor

SCF where you at ? If you see this can you give me some advice please to the post before this one on how i should proceed about salliemae reporting inaccurate and also reporting double trade lines..Do you think there is a chance out of  GW that they may remove the trade lines with the negatives up to the time i started repaying ? I was thinking i may have a small chance with some sort of goodwill since they are reporting a bit inaccurate about my loan being transferred and reporting double trade lines.

Message 7 of 10
SCF
Valued Contributor

Do what Sallie Mae asked you to, send the report and highlight and explain your concerns.  Follow up with them, see what they say.  The best way to get inaccurate information removed is to work directly with the lender reporting it.

Message 8 of 10
workingprogress
Regular Contributor

Talked to another salliemae rep today and this time i was told different then what i was yesterday..Today this rep said it looks like in August 2011 i defaulted on my loan and it was transferred to department of ed/salliemae...She said i should contact the CRA and ask them why its reports different trade lines and status..She talked like it may just be how the CRA reported but the rep yesterday said they should be reporting paying as agreed.

I'm now about afraid to be disputing with salliemae because on my paper copy report direct from EX there is a time period from April 2009 to august 2009 that it reports as no data for whatever reason and when i asked the rep about that she looked at the dates on her end and said it showed late's for that time frame so I'm afraid if i push to much i may get more late's tacked on instead of taken off...I may just try GW the crap out of them for a while even though it probably wont work..Do you think i could dispute the staus of the loans and have them changed to paying as agreed instead of having a status of 180 days late on EX and 120+ plus days late on EQ..What you think ?

Message 9 of 10
SCF
Valued Contributor

If you dispute, or even GW the loan, they may make some or all of the fixes you request and still add those missing lates back in if they think they are accurate.  It's really hard to predict what exactly will happen with a dispute or a GW request in situations like this.  It's up to you and how much effort you want to put into pursuing it.  You could call a few more times and see if you can get more helpful reps, move forward with your GW plan, or dispute the information you think is inaccurate.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.