Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

New Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Nelnet Late Payment Removal

The only thing negative when I applied for my mortgage was my student loan lates. I had some other baddies but they had either fallen off or been removed years before (2012).

As far as the student loans go, I believe I had 4 tradelines that all showed 120+ lates. Keep in mind they were pretty old at this point. My last late was September of 2011, and my mortgage application was approximately 5 years later. I did have to write a one sentence explanation for each tradeline explaining why I was late as part of my underwriting process. These lates are still on my credit report and will likely be there for the full seven years. Frankly, I don't think my score will go over 720 until they fall off.

Another thing to note is that FICO scores used for mortages are often not the same as ones given to you by credit card companies or even this website. You need to ask your lender what mortgage score they use. When I applied for my mortgage my FICO scores were all hovering around 710-722, but my mortgage scores were a bit lower at 680-690. It wasn't a huge deal, but it meant that I didn't qualify for the lowest conventional rate, which is why I ended up with an FHA. I really suggest checking out the mortgage board, it was really helpful for me when learning about the process.

Chase CSR 22,000 | Chase Freedom Unlimited 13,000 | Chase CSP 10,000| USAA Cash Back $7,000 | AA Silver Aviator Card $10,000 | AMEX Everyday $9,000 | Chase Freedom $3,000 | Capital One Cash Rewards $4,000 | Discover IT $4500 | Nordstrom Store Card $2000
Highlighted
New Visitor
0 Kudos

Re: Nelnet Late Payment Removal

Hi Katz,

How many lates exactly?? Who was your lender and what state? 

Thanks!

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.