Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nelnet lates

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nelnet lates

So after trying goodwill for some time with nelnet to no avail, I realized the simplest thing. Nelnet marked 3 of my loans as 90 day late July 2015 and 120 days august. Interestingly enough, no 30 or 60 days at any point in time at all since the loan opened. Also, I was enrolled full time until Dec 2015. I literally took so long to realize this and so I called them up as soon as I was awake today. She verified that I was on in school deferment status since 2014 until the end of 2015 going into 2016. She confirmed it yet still said she's unsure of how it could be late. I asked a million times if that makes any sense and she kept saying no but refused to say anything when I asked for her to remove the lates. She sent me the typical in school deferment form to be filled out and said I'll just have to dispute it again after filling that. What is truly annoying is how arrogant do you have to be to tell me that you see your system makes no sense yet still hassle me and tell me there's nothing you can do to remove the lates and you yourself find it strange that 90 and 120 lates are showing with nothing before and deferment is confirmed until 2016. Nonetheless, I'm taking a stab at this and will have to trek down to my school to have this form filled out to verify my prior enrollment. Although oddly enough the form only specifies that I request forbearance or deferment for the future, and not in the past which I really need. Me applying for the deferment now would do me no good as I'm not currently enrolled and the school will simply fill out non student status. Ultimately I hope I get something out of this as I'm tired of trying the saturated goodwill method and getting no where with nelnet. My question is, if this doesnt work out, would any of the credit bureaus remove the lates if i was to provide them my transcript with enrollment status and let them know I should've never been marked late due to my student status? This is honestly downing my scores so much and even though I have no recent lates and with <15% util, I still have the "serious delinquency" marking to go with my score
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Re: Nelnet lates

Hi, you are correct.  This is impacting your score as ontime payments is one of the highest factors.  Are these federal student loans or a private student loan?

Here are a few things to keep in mind.  Not all representatives are aware of all of the policies of the company, and likely the reason why the rep you were speaking with didn't provide you a full answer about the late payments.  Secondly, please understand, most servicers identify it as the loan holder's responsibility to make sure the loan is in the right status.

Now, even with that said, I do think the documentation that was provided is a step in the right direction.  It would be either that, or a letter into Nelnet explaining the situation.  I recommend you getting enrollment information from your university to display the dates that you were enrolled and your enrollment level (i.e. less than half time, half time, or full time).  Use this information along with the document you were sent, or a letter explaining that you were enrolled at this time, so should have been on an in-school deferment.

If a federal student loan, typically it's easier because there are regulations in place that indicate the loan does not have to be repaid during an in-school deferment, unless of course the student requests the loan to be in a payment status.

Private student loans don't hold as true to the same requirements, as usually after 5 years, most private student loans come due no matter if you are in school or not.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

They're all federal loans. I may try calling again today to see if I get another rep over the phone and see if they can acknowledge their own mistake. But with nelnets history, probably not. I cannot even tell you how bad my dealing with nelnet has been over the phone and in writing. When I first got to repaying them, I saw that they accrued interest from the start of the loan in 2010. I sent them numerous letters to remove the interest because interest should not be charged if I was in school deferment. Some reps claim that I was on hardship forbearance and others say they can see my in school status but again don't have any way to remove the interest accrued for 7 years because "it's a long period of time that I need to pay interest for" verbatim from one of the letters. I'm not even sure **bleep** that even has to do with my situation or the fact that i shouldnt have been accruing interest while in school. My loans for 7k are now at an 11k balance with me paying an extra 100 every month for the past year. Anyhow I've lost that battle already and I'm sure since I'm paying it down they aren't going to do a thing about it. I've even said I'm willing to PIF one of the original loan balances if they remove the interest by nope. Here's to hoping this form gets me going. I'm also going to give them my official transcript and attach a letter as well as my schedule for the July-Aug timeframe. I'll shoot the CBs a call also to see if me disputing with them would have better success.
Message 3 of 24
iowe
Regular Contributor

I totally understand and have had nothing but a bad experience dealing with nelnet. They are the worst. They reported bogus lates on me on loans that were paid via auto-pay every month. I made sure they were paid. Complete incompetence over there.

2024 Goal: To finally be debt free
Message 4 of 24
Tazman81
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
They're all federal loans. I may try calling again today to see if I get another rep over the phone and see if they can acknowledge their own mistake. But with nelnets history, probably not. I cannot even tell you how bad my dealing with nelnet has been over the phone and in writing. When I first got to repaying them, I saw that they accrued interest from the start of the loan in 2010. I sent them numerous letters to remove the interest because interest should not be charged if I was in school deferment. Some reps claim that I was on hardship forbearance and others say they can see my in school status but again don't have any way to remove the interest accrued for 7 years because "it's a long period of time that I need to pay interest for" verbatim from one of the letters. I'm not even sure **bleep** that even has to do with my situation or the fact that i shouldnt have been accruing interest while in school. My loans for 7k are now at an 11k balance with me paying an extra 100 every month for the past year. Anyhow I've lost that battle already and I'm sure since I'm paying it down they aren't going to do a thing about it. I've even said I'm willing to PIF one of the original loan balances if they remove the interest by nope. Here's to hoping this form gets me going. I'm also going to give them my official transcript and attach a letter as well as my schedule for the July-Aug timeframe. I'll shoot the CBs a call also to see if me disputing with them would have better success.

Deep breaths.  We can break this down into smaller manageable chunks so that you can get some long sought after resolution.

Lets start with the interest.  Interest DOES accrue for student loans, even if they are on in-school deferement.  The only exception to this are government Subsidized loans.  With a subsidized loan, the government pays your interest while in school.  Otherwise, your interest accrues and is compounded (added to the original balance) once you enter repayment.  This is the case for everyone's loans, and the rates are regulated by Congress, not Nelnet.

I recommend checking the National Student Loan Database.  It can provide you details on which of your loans are subsidized (interest paid by the government while deferred), and which are unsubsidized (interest captialized).

Getting back to your original post.  Have you done your due diligence?  Typically inschool deferements are reported through the National Student Loan database as your current school status.  To qualify for a deferrment at most universities, you have to be at least half time.  If you are certain that your loans should have been deferred at that time, contact the university, get proof of continuous enrollment at that time and send it along with the letter to Nelnet.  You can then await their response.  In my experience, when proper documenation is provided, typically it resolves the issue.  I would be interested to know how this worked out.

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 5 of 24
Tazman81
Established Contributor

@iowe wrote:
I totally understand and have had nothing but a bad experience dealing with nelnet. They are the worst. They reported bogus lates on me on loans that were paid via auto-pay every month. I made sure they were paid. Complete incompetence over there.

It's certainly no fun having incorrect information reported, especially when it deals with something like credit which has a major impact on the ability to get good rates with other institutions.  Were you able to provide bank records to Nelnet which clearly identified they had received ontime payments for the installments in dispute?  Like I mentioned to the OP, it's been my experience that a little leg work on the side of the customer to get proper undisputable paperwork goes a long way and typically resolves issues like this.

Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes they're all federal subsidized loans. 

I ended up calling nelnet again today and got a rep that seemed to acknowledge the issue and claim he sees verification from a supervisor that the late payments were inaccurate. He said he's putting in a request to have them deleted. I also had him verify the loans are subsidized and the interest rates along with how much was cumulative to the balance within the 2013-2015 timeframe. He was surprised (or at least acted and sounded surprised) to see how much interest was added on and confirmed the status to be in school deferment with no interest accumulating for that time. Unfortunately he said his hands were tied on that and he'd have to get a supervisor to oversee and review that but he claimed to put a remark for someone to look into it. 

I did get thenough form dropped off to my school but couldn't get it filled right away so I'll have to wait a few days. Either way, I think I finally got the right rep on the line but we'll wait and see. I'm going to submit all their documentation along with my own (transcript, grades, and schedule) just to follow up thoroughly. 

This is my first time actually addressing this issue and in the past I've just been attempting goodwill. So I'm hoping I see some positive results from this. 

@Tazman81 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Deep breaths.  We can break this down into smaller manageable chunks so that you can get some long sought after resolution.

Lets start with the interest.  Interest DOES accrue for student loans, even if they are on in-school deferement.  The only exception to this are government Subsidized loans.  With a subsidized loan, the government pays your interest while in school.  Otherwise, your interest accrues and is compounded (added to the original balance) once you enter repayment.  This is the case for everyone's loans, and the rates are regulated by Congress, not Nelnet.

I recommend checking the National Student Loan Database.  It can provide you details on which of your loans are subsidized (interest paid by the government while deferred), and which are unsubsidized (interest captialized).

Getting back to your original post.  Have you done your due diligence?  Typically inschool deferements are reported through the National Student Loan database as your current school status.  To qualify for a deferrment at most universities, you have to be at least half time.  If you are certain that your loans should have been deferred at that time, contact the university, get proof of continuous enrollment at that time and send it along with the letter to Nelnet.  You can then await their response.  In my experience, when proper documenation is provided, typically it resolves the issue.  I would be interested to know how this worked out.

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wellp just got the letter from nelnet saying they verified and my loans are accurately reported with the lates. I'm here at the school waiting to get this form filled out again and this time I'm going to dispute with the bureaus instead. I asked the school for a letter stating my dates of enrollment in a month to month timeline so hopefully the bureaus can see that. I honestly cannot stand nelnet. They said the form I sent them last verified my school enrollment from July until December 2015 but only the late payments from Sept until Dec would qualify for removal. Yet they have their own form filled out by a school office showing enrollment through all the months they've reported late including July and August. Even the escalations team was refusing to help. I am thinking of taking some type of legal action now that I will have a letter from the school, official school transcripts, scheduling, and their own form filled as well. I also have proof and screenshots of an online representative who told me they don't care what I do or provide, they will not remove my late payments. Yet they can confirm and see enrollment from the dates.
Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

24 hours later... they claim they never received my last submission of paperwork. I sent everything again including a letter from the school. They told me they can see 'something' was submitted online but they can't see anything until 3-5 business days. Let's see if that manages to magically disappear as well. Then they said once received it will be INSTANT removal. I recorded the call and had her repeat that about 5 times with her name and a reference number that they'll delete the lates once they verify.
Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, been calling them every day to get a status check. Docs were processed on April 14th, was told they'll have everything said and done by the 19th. I call them today to see that they've denied my request for in school deferment. I ask how or why. I get told the paperwork shows I was less than half time enrollment for that semester. It's so funny how that logic works because from Sept until Dec, I was enrolled in 6 credits and that qualifies for in school deferment status as half time but 7 credits enrolled from July until August does not qualify. I went as high as an account manager and she could not explain how that makes sense. They also went on to say "oh yeah btw we received your credit dispute and we have already auto generated our response that everything is reported accurately." I asked her according to Nelnet what qualifies as half time status and she said there is no such information or classification, and that the processing and credit department would know. I ask to speak with them, got put on hold 40 minutes and got hung up on the first time. The second time I was on an hour hold and then told oh sorry I guess they're closed and gone for the day so try back tomorrow. I really should just pursue legal action at this point. I have their own form filled by the school with the information they need and they said they can verify that 6 credits from sept-dec is halftime but 7 credits does not. Honestly I wish something worse than death to these people and I'm normally very kind and courteous even when I have to escalate but this is just beyond ridiculous or even bearable.
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.