cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nelnet reported delinquencies across 20 separate accounts--is that fair?

tag
BoxingWizards

Nelnet reported delinquencies across 20 separate accounts--is that fair?

Hi everyone!  First post!

I guess I'll do a quick intro first.  Skip this paragraph if you don't care...  I'm hoping to rehab my credit over the next few years after many years of head-in-the-sand syndrome.  I avoided even checking my report for a long time.  As you can see from my signature, my scores are pretty bad as of Jan-09.  But I hope some kind souls out there will help me out with what actions I can take to clean it up.  I know time is the greatest healer, but there are also some accounts I don't recognize and some incorrect info on my reports.

Anyway, here's my question:  Out of the 38 total accounts on my credit reports, my Nelnet student loans takes up 20 of them!  Apparently they report each distribution individually?  But I had a problem back in 2006 where I did not pay my student loans.  And across ALL 20 ACCOUNTS, Nelnet has reported me 90 and 120 days late for 11 months straight!  As you can imagine, that is a huge hit to my credit score, basically making 1 delinquency look 20 times worse that (I think) it should be.  Except for a few misses, my other 18 accounts have reported mostly positive since 2002.  I would probably have a 750 score if it wasn't for this situation!  Is this fair play in the credit reporting world?  Is there anything at all I can do about it?  (BTW, I have been current with Netlnet since 12/2006.)

I really appreciate any explanation and advice.  I'm going to be posting a few other questions in other forums, but this is the biggie right here.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Nelnet reported delinquencies across 20 separate accounts--is that fair?

Hi BoxingWizards, and welcome to the forum!

You're definitely in the right place to get the help you need, so keep the questions coming and read a lot.

Unfortunately, I believe your SLs are reporting correctly.  Each disbursement does usually register as a new loan on your report, and when you pay late, they are allowed to record a late on each account that you failed to pay on time.  You can try to write GW letters to your lender and see if they will remove some or all of the lates based on your current positive history, but I don't think there's any other way to see them removed except for the passage of time.

Good luck with your credit repair.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.