cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New credit card - harmful to student loan closing?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New credit card - harmful to student loan closing?

DW just applied for a student loan refinance (they pulled her credit and everything already), and just needs to wait for her parent to cosign before they'll approve it.

Right after the Wells Fargo pull, she applied for a Chase Sapphire Preferred and got instantly approved for $20k. Since this credit card approval happened in the middle of her student loan refinance process, could this hurt her approval chances, in the same way that it could hurt a mortgage closing?

Thanks for the advice!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New credit card - harmful to student loan closing?

Why would she apply for credit when she already needed a cosigner to get approval on the loan? Wasn't really the smartest decision here, it's totally up to the lender on if this changes anything. If they repull her credit and don't like to see a new account or new inquiries then she could be in trouble. Only time will tell here, no one is going to have the right answer except the underwriter. Should be more patient in the future.

Message 2 of 3
Simply827
Established Contributor

Re: New credit card - harmful to student loan closing?

I think she'll be fine. I've done two refinances, and neither repulled my credit before finalizing my loan.

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 711 EX08 731 TU08 735
Goal Score: 740+

Amex BCP $25k | Discover IT $15.7k | Cap 1 QS $10k | PSECU $10k | Citi DC $9300 | Citi DP $6800 | Barclay Ring $6500 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Slate $5000 | Barclays AA $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $500
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.