Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Newbie question

I have a student loan that I have been paying on for a number of years - recently (since 2007) no lates, but a pretty checkered history previous to that.  I had numerous 120+ lates and forebearances.  Great Lakes is reporting all of them, but I pulled Transunion yesterday and it shows that the are reporting lates in 2007 and 2008, which is not possible because I have an automatic payment setup through my checking.  I called to ask if they could correct and was told to dispute with the CRA. 

My two questions:

1. why can't they do anything without me having to go through the whole dispute process?

2. My very first payment in 1998 was 30 days late.  Can I just have this removed from my credit file or only after I pay it off in full?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Newbie question

I am responding to this to let you know my situation, not that I feel I have experience or knowledge in this department. The contributors here are much more knowledgeable and experienced than I.

Sallie Mae holds a couple of my student loans, I have had recent positive payments due to automatic payments but as you not so pretty before that. I sent a GW letter (after I found this wonderful site). They sent back a letter saying unfortunately they could not help me, but the next time I pulled my CR the late were GONE.

Also, I would send a copy showing the on time payments for the particular dates they are saying you were late and ask this to please fix this in there system and update with the CRA's. 

It never hurts to call back and try to speak with someone else.

Hope this helps in anyway.

Message 2 of 3
MizzB
Regular Contributor

Re: Newbie question

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a student loan that I have been paying on for a number of years - recently (since 2007) no lates, but a pretty checkered history previous to that.  I had numerous 120+ lates and forebearances.  Great Lakes is reporting all of them, but I pulled Transunion yesterday and it shows that the are reporting lates in 2007 and 2008, which is not possible because I have an automatic payment setup through my checking.  I called to ask if they could correct and was told to dispute with the CRA. 

My two questions:

1. why can't they do anything without me having to go through the whole dispute process? They can do something without you disputing this item. I would call back and ask to speak to a supervisor if you have no luck with the next frontline CSA. I would ask them to update you reporting history with the CRA due to the cirucumstances. If you continue to have challenges with reps refusing to update your history, I would dispute with TU by mail so that you can send them supporting docuementation (proof of payment and dates). The supporting documentation should help counteract a wrong verification of your payment history by Sallie Mae and correct the issue.

2. My very first payment in 1998 was 30 days late.  Can I just have this removed from my credit file or only after I pay it off in full? I'm not 100% sure on this, but from my understanding any derogatory information that is over 7 years old should be removed from your credit file per the FCRA. I would dispute this late with the CRA and attempt to get it removed.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

*********************************************************************************
Current Score (04/20/20): EQ:673; TU: 691; EX: 688 (FICO)
Starting Score (01/20/17): EQ:511 (FICO); TU: 521 (FAKO)
CapOne QS MC: $10k | Chase Sapphire Preferred: $14.5K | OpenSky Visa: $500 | Green Dot MC $300 | Green Dot MC2: $300 | AMEX Gold CC: NPSL | AMEX Platinum CC: NPSL | Amex Gold Delta Skymiles: $3k | DiscoverIT Chrome: $5.6K
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.