Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No clue what I'm doing!!

tag
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

No clue what I'm doing!!

So I've recently been opened up to many opportunities at my current job. These opportunities have much better pay with a degree than without and I will be moving to Pittsburgh, PA. I will have these opportunities until I decide to move as it is with a large company with positions coming open all over.

Ive decided to go back to school, this way when I move to take this job, I will have a much higher starting salary and pay grade, as well as many more areas to pursue. I havent been to school since 2007. I did not flunk out, but I did drop out due to taking less than required credit hours for the semester (11) and losing my scholarship and financial aid, making it impossible for me to continue.

After I left school I couldnt afford a PRIVATE student loan I had taken out, and it defaulted. I had 3 federal loans which were all paid and no missed payments, but the private loan did charge off.

Can I still get a federal student loan to go back to school? Anyone with experience in this, Im so confused and lost. A lot has changed in 5 years.

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
beb86
Valued Contributor

Re: No clue what I'm doing!!

Does this company have a tuition reimbursement program?

Message 2 of 7
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

Yes, my company will pay 4k per semester as long as my degree focus is finance. (which it is) and I have to have a C grade or better.

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I were in your shoes, I would still fill out a FAFSA, and then chat with the Financial Aid office at the school you'll be attending. I'm thinking you should still be able to get a Federal Loan, but like you said - a lot's changed in 5 years, and I would err on the side of caution at this point.

The earlier in 2013 you fill out that FAFSA, though, the better. If you are eligible you'll be in a better position, and if you aren't eligible the worst they can do is tell you no. It would be better to have it and not need it than vice versa.

Message 4 of 7
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

I went ahead and filled out the FAFSA, and just to share this with anyone reading... YOU CAN get a federal student loan, as long as you arent in default currently on any FEDERAL SLs. I had 4 federal student loans, all paid, two still paying on, but never a missed payment. I have defaulted (by accident) on a private student loan, but didnt know if that would keep me from getting federal loans. I filled out the FAFSA and was informed I was eligible. Smiley Happy very excited!

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yay! That is great news. When I worked in higher ed, the rule of thumb was always "Even in doubt - fill it out" because the earlier the better. So excited for you, that is awesome news. Have a great time at school Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 7
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yay! That is great news. When I worked in higher ed, the rule of thumb was always "Even in doubt - fill it out" because the earlier the better. So excited for you, that is awesome news. Have a great time at school Smiley Happy

Thank You! I plan on making the most of it. Its been 5 years since I was enrolled, I forgot how anything works! haha

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.