Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Quite Paying Off Student Loans

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not Quite Paying Off Student Loans

I have recently completed the rehab process and am just now getting set up with my new loan servicer (Navient).  My current plan to tackle these loans is to continue paying the same amount as my rehab payment even though my new IBR payment will be about $100 less and use the snowball method, at least initially.  My smaller loans tend to have the higher interest rate, but once I hit a certaing point, I may go for the larger loan amounts.  I am curious if there would be a benefit to me not quite pay off these smaller loans and keep a small balance ($50-$100) just to keep the line open and develop a longer credit history.  I started taking loans out about 10 years ago, so they are definitely helping my account age at this point.  If they are closed/paid off does that still count until they fall off?  Looking for some feedback or suggestions.   I have about $46,000 in loans, so it isn't going to be a quick process by any means, but with having relatively low interest rates on my loans (4.5-6.8%), I feel like I should take advantage of it if there is a benefit to me

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.