cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PFD for Private Student Loans?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: For LynnInMN: PFD for Private Student Loans?

I'm not aware of any lenders that will touch defaulted private loans with a ten-foot pole.

Can you get a low-rate BT?

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I could get a low rate BT, but she can't, and I'd like to avoid putting her debt on my credit report right now.  We want to buy a house soon (6 months, if possible) and right now my credit report is clean (never been late, no collections, just a lot of inqs).  I am now carrying a bunch of debt, a significant part of which will be paid down in early 2009 (it's at 0% till May), but having another $10-$30K in addition to the $18K I have now will tank my score (my EX:693, her EX: 599).

However, if we are able to significantly improve her credit, she will be able to get CCs to use a BT herself; hopefully, we won't be sued in the meantime.... 

Message 12 of 14
LynnInMN
Frequent Contributor

In this economy is not likely  she is going to get significant CC's with the default on her credit.  Lenders are cutting credit lines right now and are just not issuing new credit.  Plus the any mortgage lender will easily translate default paid/credit lines opened.   Opening new lines of credit before attempting to secure a mortgage is NOT a good idea in itself.

Ex-Financial Aid Officer

Ex-Student Loan Collector
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have gotten several CLIs and I could do a balance transfer on two seperate cards for 4.99% "for life", just not for $30K!
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.