cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid Defaulted Student Loans Can They Be Goodwilled?

tag
jacksont1981
Frequent Contributor

Paid Defaulted Student Loans Can They Be Goodwilled?

Hi everyone,

My student loans went into default but are now all paid in full. I got the original loans from the Department of Education deleted which had 120 day lates on them however the defaulted trade lines still exist and it states 0 balance paid collection. I have 7 of these tradelines on Equifax and Experian all saying the same thing. Transunion never showed any of the loans thank goodness. Can I goodwill these off? Anyone ever had any success goodwilling a defaulted student loan off their report?

photo 65045c2f-b730-4f9c-a72f-6e0bf9b6c3ec_zpsf30e48a9.jpg
Started 6/2014 EX 594 EQ 617 TU 580 FICO's Goal is 740's and up
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Madoffed
Valued Member

Re: Paid Defaulted Student Loans Can They Be Goodwilled?

I'm in pretty much the same boat.  I've sent one goodwill letter, nothing.

I posted this a long time ago with no responses, so either no one has ever tried, or no one has had success.  Either way, not great for you and me.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Student-Loans/Suckered-into-paying-off-defaulted-student-loans-inste...

Starting Score: EQ 586 April 2014
Current Score: 718 (EQ - MyFICO) 704 (TU - MyFICO) 701 (EX - Experian)
Goal Score: 725

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 17
jacksont1981
Frequent Contributor

@Madoffed wrote:

I'm in pretty much the same boat.  I've sent one goodwill letter, nothing.

I posted this a long time ago with no responses, so either no one has ever tried, or no one has had success.  Either way, not great for you and me.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Student-Loans/Suckered-into-paying-off-defaulted-student-loans-inste...

LOL hey well at least I got you to respond! Have you tried calling? I was thinking of trying that tomorrow and see what happens and I was in the middle of writing a goodwill letter to them when I saw my email notification from myFICO 

I hope something can be done short of waiting for it to just drop off from my credit reports. 

Message 3 of 17
Madoffed
Valued Member

I called and spent like an hour on the phone with a really nice rep.  He said there was nothing he could do, but that the fact that I just stroked them a check rather than accept rehab on the prompting of the representative might present an opportunity.  He suggested I write a letter to the Dept of Education - oh? send a letter to the government? that'll work well - telling them that I was induced to pay in full in a manner that harmed me when the rep should have (was obligated to??) offer rehabilitation.  They responded saying basically that the debt was accurately reported, wait 7 years. 

So, I paid off about $85,000 in student loans...the last $20,000 with one check a bit over 10 years after graduation and it shows derog on my credit report.

I'm due to write another letter this month, but their position is that regardless of the circumstances, what the rep did/didn't do, how fast or how much I paid off that one of my loans was delinquent and I paid it off without rehabbing so it is forever delinquent.  I'm thinking of writing Obama...think he'll know I didn't vote for him?  Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 17
ERoosky99
Regular Contributor

@jacksont1981 wrote:

Hi everyone,

My student loans went into default but are now all paid in full. I got the original loans from the Department of Education deleted which had 120 day lates on them however the defaulted trade lines still exist and it states 0 balance paid collection. I have 7 of these tradelines on Equifax and Experian all saying the same thing. Transunion never showed any of the loans thank goodness. Can I goodwill these off? Anyone ever had any success goodwilling a defaulted student loan off their report?

photo 65045c2f-b730-4f9c-a72f-6e0bf9b6c3ec_zpsf30e48a9.jpg

Looking at this screen shot is kind of surreal.  My Equifax profile has 16 of these Department of Education (ED) student loan accounts that mirrors this image.  Only difference is that my accounts start with 1189XXXX and was opened in 10/2003 not 10/2001 like yours here.  I had 16 of the accounts deleted from TransUnion, but both Equifax and Experian have "validated" the accounts as mine although when I ask them to give me the contact/party that "validated" the information they're unable to do so.  I had a very heated phone conversation with Experian on two separate occasions recently; complete waste of time and energy.  I want these accounts GONE like yesterday!!!  I consolidated my federal student loans so they were paid in a full a year ago exactly, but I DO NOT want 16 negative trade lines reporting for several more years to the CRAs.  It's so frustrating!!!  I seriously believe that defaulted student loans are worse than filing bankruptcy because they damage your credit and are nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get removed!  From every source I've heard from, the ED DOES NOT goodwill loans that are paid in full.  Maybe someone out there can chime in and prove me wrong.  So, the only thing I care about is working an angle to get them removed.  Good luck to you, and anyone else, going through this struggle.

Current FICOs: (11-02-15) EQ- 623 (628) / EX- 643 / TU- 679
Starting FICOs: (May 2014) Low to mid 500s (all 3 bureaus)
GOAL: As HIGH as possible! All 3 FICOs above 680/700 will be NICE!!!
Total Credit Limits- $104,120
Message 5 of 17
empiror22
Regular Contributor

from my own experience the answer is no they will be there for 7 years after paid or hopefully from the first delinquecy.  I have talked with a ombudsman from the ED dept, they have asked on my behalf, as well as me sending letters for the past 2 plus years.  I have asked my congress persons to look into this as well.  So far no luck, i sent a letter once a month (via email, and also regular mail) to the ED dept/ Great lakes (servicer) and the orginial grantors.  So far no luck what so ever.  basically i've been told they can say on your report up to 7.5 years AFTER YOU PAY them OFF, they have a special term limit for how long they can report ( don't remember the number of article) but I was once sent a letter quoting the passage about you paid but we are not /don't have to remove until that deadline.

Message 6 of 17
ERoosky99
Regular Contributor

@empiror22 wrote:

from my own experience the answer is no they will be there for 7 years after paid or hopefully from the first delinquecy.  I have talked with a ombudsman from the ED dept, they have asked on my behalf, as well as me sending letters for the past 2 plus years.  I have asked my congress persons to look into this as well.  So far no luck, i sent a letter once a month (via email, and also regular mail) to the ED dept/ Great lakes (servicer) and the orginial grantors.  So far no luck what so ever.  basically i've been told they can say on your report up to 7.5 years AFTER YOU PAY them OFF, they have a special term limit for how long they can report ( don't remember the number of article) but I was once sent a letter quoting the passage about you paid but we are not /don't have to remove until that deadline.

For this reason, I feel that defaulted student loans are tantamount to a bankruptcy.  Many youth need to know this because SO MANY are taking out federal student loans, and don't know the negative implications that can occur if they fall behind (includes myself)!  I would have taken more care to make sure that I filed for deferment/forbearance prior to ignoring the loans and allowing them to default.

Current FICOs: (11-02-15) EQ- 623 (628) / EX- 643 / TU- 679
Starting FICOs: (May 2014) Low to mid 500s (all 3 bureaus)
GOAL: As HIGH as possible! All 3 FICOs above 680/700 will be NICE!!!
Total Credit Limits- $104,120
Message 7 of 17
Madoffed
Valued Member

Well, I don't want to jinx it, but I got a call back from a very nice gentleman at the ombudsman's office after last month's call with some pretty unbelievable news.  Looks like they removed my student loans from my credit reports on or about the 15th of October.  I just pulled my Experian and Dept. of Education no longer shows up in the derrogatory items section - no longer in accounts in good standing either.  My score hasn't changed at all, is it possible that the positive and negative effects were perfectly balanced??? 

Anyway, going to check the other two reports over the coming weeks.  I'll come back and let you guys know.

Bear in mind, the story I told was no bs (genuine consolidation error resulting in an orphaned loan, natural disaster, wife with serious illness, followed by full payment of $20,000 to settle the loan when rehabilitation was an option), so YMMV.  The good news is that it seems as though if there is a genuine error/hardship they will research the issue and help you.  The bad news, I really got no bang for my buck in the score dept.  Still, I'm pleased with the outcome.

Message 8 of 17
jacksont1981
Frequent Contributor

@Madoffed wrote:

Well, I don't want to jinx it, but I got a call back from a very nice gentleman at the ombudsman's office after last month's call with some pretty unbelievable news.  Looks like they removed my student loans from my credit reports on or about the 15th of October.  I just pulled my Experian and Dept. of Education no longer shows up in the derrogatory items section - no longer in accounts in good standing either.  My score hasn't changed at all, is it possible that the positive and negative effects were perfectly balanced??? 

Anyway, going to check the other two reports over the coming weeks.  I'll come back and let you guys know.

Bear in mind, the story I told was no bs (genuine consolidation error resulting in an orphaned loan, natural disaster, wife with serious illness, followed by full payment of $20,000 to settle the loan when rehabilitation was an option), so YMMV.  The good news is that it seems as though if there is a genuine error/hardship they will research the issue and help you.  The bad news, I really got no bang for my buck in the score dept.  Still, I'm pleased with the outcome.

Congrats! That is awesome! Even though you didnt get the score bump you hoped for, I am a firm believer in clean reports is better than dirty ones. Especially dirty with student loan debt. I am going to give the ombudsmans office a try and see how that goes. Thanks for reporting back as this is very helpful info.

Message 9 of 17
Madoffed
Valued Member

Best of luck.  FYI when I spoke with him the first time it was tough to keep from getting angry.  I got the impression he was testing my story, because I'm sure they hear it all.  Once he realized that I was on the level, he got off the phone and apparently went to work.  I didn't hear from him again until he called to say that it had already been removed from my reports.  So...keep your cool and don't exaggerate - I'm sure they go and review the elements of your story that are verifiable.

I'm still pissed that I didn't get the 10-15 points I needed to break 700.  Maybe it takes a few weeks to update, it did just come off a week ago.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.