Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid School loans off but not reporting as paid off

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid School loans off but not reporting as paid off

Ok so here is the story, back in November of 2009 I received a large settlement so one of first things I did was payed my school loans off directly to Sallie Mae. I made sure that I paid them all off before hanging up with the person on the phone and she assured me that we got them all. Well now they took $2008 our of our tax refund for my school loans and I have 4 Sallie Mae student loans on my credit report that are reporting as 24 missed payments and 2 collections for student loans showing no payment. I tried to sign in to Sallie Mae to look over my account and was directed over to Navient. I looked at my statement and they are showing that just under $3000 were paid. I then requested my bank statement that showed the transaction from them taking out the payments in November of 2009. The bank statement had two charges on it one showing over $7000 and one showing nearly $3000. I disputed all my student loans on my credit report and are waiting for them to tell me what they decided. In my dispute I sent my Navient showing they got my payment and then also sent my bank statement showing the two payment for over $9000 to Sallie Mae. Has anyone had to do dispute payments on school loans and what was the out come?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Paid School loans off but not reporting as paid off

What type of loans are these?  If they are now held by Navient, it's likely that they were federal, which is good because you can use the National Student Loan Data System to see a complete list of all federal loans you borrowed and who currently services them.

Is it possible that only some of your loans were paid off with the payments you made in 2009? Most people graduate with many different loan accounts, sometimes spread over multiple servicers, so it can be hard to keep track of them.

You need to try to sort this out on your end as well.  Get together all the documentation you have regarding how much you borrowed, how much you owed in 2009 when the payment was made, and what the payment you made should have covered.  Unfortunately, this is not something you can sort out just by disputing it on your credit report.  You want to make sure that your loans are correct with Navient and the NSLDS because federal loans will cause you trouble for the rest of your life if they aren't properly resolved.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't graduate I went for just a few quaters and even at that the last quarter I went I know most of the money was sent back because I registered and then had to drop my classes due to getting sick. But I will look at the data base to see what they have under my name. I should not have been over $9000 in total since it was a trade school and I didn't go but a few quarter and back in 2009 I went through all my paper work and came up with the same amount I paid to them. Unfortunately I don't have the paper work because it got ruined when moved.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Om I just logged into nsld website and everything on there is showing a $0 owed and nothing outstanding. I do have 2 private loans I took out but those are up todate and are reporting correctly.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess should have also mentioned the school loans show paid ok until January after I paid them off.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I guess should have also mentioned the school loans show paid ok until January after I paid them off.

From what I have seen, Navient hasn't reported since Jan 2015 for myself and a few others I saw post. I called and their response was I was to send them proof that they haven't reported (copy of my credit report) seriously?!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.