Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid in full defaulted Loan

tag
hmathews11

Paid in full defaulted Loan

Hello,

I was checking my credit and noticed that it was still showing a defaulted student loan that I had paid off back in January 2012, but still showing that I owe a balance of $1598.00. I paid a total of $ 1704.64 on 1-17-2012 which was all of the remaining amount. Is it possible that they have just not updated their system and that's why it is showing that I still owe this amount?

Can you please help me?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

Re: Paid in full defaulted Loan

Given that it's been nearly 2 years, it's possible that it never updated correctly. Have you called them? That's probably a good first step.

Message 2 of 4
hmathews11

I have tried calling several times and everytime I get transferred and then hung up on. I don't think anyone there actually knows what's going on. It's starting to get aggervating, I just want this to go away and not show up that I still owe them money when I don't.

Message 3 of 4
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

When you log into the National Student Loan Database, what does it say there? http://www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds_SA/

You'll first want to figure out if this is merely a reporting issue, or if they're under the impression you actually still owe money.  If it's merely a reporting issue, all your loans will show up at the NSLDS as paid/closed. If there's still an amount due, then it's just a reporting issue.

Someone, somewhere knows what's going on. This has likely been dinging your credit for two solid years, nearly. It would be to your benefit to find out what's going on.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.