cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid off student loans dropped my CK score?

tag
wche
Regular Contributor

Paid off student loans dropped my CK score?

Hi everyone,

I had a 19k DOE student loan for 4 years. I paid it off last month and it finally posted on my CR today. I updated my CK score and it dropped from 754 to 730....why is that? Is it because my AAoA is now decreased? 

Thanks for any input!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
bahbahd
Established Contributor

Re: Paid off student loans dropped my CK score?

The paid off SL is not responsible. If the account is in good standing with no missed payments or declaratory comments. This account should stay on your credit reports as a positive account for 10 year, only benefiting your FICO score and over all credit profile. AAOA for paid off vs still paying SL is the same. The age begins at the disbursement date.

There could be something else negative on your account that you are not seeing right away.

Message 2 of 5
wche
Regular Contributor

The only thing that changed was "4 accounts have been clo...

The only thing that changed was "4 accounts have been closed," which are the 4 loans I had on my account. Everything else remained the same, yet my CK score dropped 24 points...

Message 3 of 5
mmmlive1999
Frequent Contributor

CK score is  what we call FAKO. It is a fake score sold to consumers and is not used by lenders, you are honestly wasting your time looking at it because it fluctuates wildly every time a payment is made.

If you want your true Transunion score( FICO) you can obtain one from a lender or this site

On the CK site I have found the Vantage Score to be the closest to my real FICO, but it is not that way for everyone. Smiley Wink

Starting Score: 6/6/12: TU 585/EQ 472/ EX 561
Current Score: All 800's
Cap1 QS - $17k, Chase Southwest- $25k, Discover IT - $50k
Message 4 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@mmmlive1999 wrote:

CK score is  what we call FAKO. It is a fake score sold to consumers and is not used by lenders, you are honestly wasting your time looking at it because it fluctuates wildly every time a payment is made.

If you want your true Transunion score( FICO) you can obtain one from a lender or this site

+1....Their FAKOs factor in stuff that FICO doesn't. I doubt oyur FICO dropped. If most of your TLs are reporting balances, I'd argue you probably experienced a small increase as FICO is concerned.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.