Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paraniod.... Navient Missed 1 Payment

tag
ElizaBen
Established Member

Paraniod.... Navient Missed 1 Payment

So,  I can't even be certain exacty how many days I was past due.   I am assuming it will work out to be 31 or 32 days...  so,  I have been out of town for two weeks and forgot about my student loans (which I have been paying successfully since 2006).   Anyhow,  I logged into the system tonight and noticed there was a Banner on my homepage saying I was late...

Due Date was today;  9/8.    The balance showed past due roughly $300 and the current due which was another $300.  So total $600 saying that immediately I had to pay the past due.  Which I immediately did (paid all) and the date is showing is 9/9 (since I paid online after 9PM).

Anyhow,  what are my chances that they will report my being 31 or 32 days late to the credit bureaus... I could care less about the late fee;  I don't want to ruin my credit.   Any advice or information would be very much appreciated.

Thanks everyone!!

Starting Score:
EQ-690, TU-705, EX-695
Current Score: EQ-772, TU-755, EX-768
Goal Score: 800+ Across ALL

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

Re: Paraniod.... Navient Missed 1 Payment

They most likely will report it since you were a month late but since it was your first time you might have a chance to work it out with them. Just tell them you were on vacation and you forgot, if it's a first they might let it slide.

An advice though, set up an automatic payment, either through your bank or your servicer's website. If you don't feel like doing that try to pay ahead by a month or two (if you can afford it of course) so that if you miss a payment it won't be a big deal. 

Message 2 of 4
SCF
Valued Contributor

Pat has the right course of action.  Call Navient and tell them that you were on vacation and did not mean to miss the payment.  You want to prevent this from happening again, can they help you set up an auto-payment?  Great, now, since we know it won't happen again, can you please waive the late fee and ensure that this late payment won't appear on my credit report?

You might have to try a couple reps to get a helpful one, but if you're polite, you'll probably get what you want here.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to comment to help anyone that may be in the same situation.

I completely forgot about my student loan payment that was due on January 8th 2016. Family went out of town for Christmas and I completely forgot about it. I have all my bill and payment due dates saved as reminders in my calendar but when I added the navient reminder I only had it repeat monthly until December 2015. Anyways, about 3 weeks into the new year I remembered my payment (or lack of payments) so I called navient immediately. I was prepared to beg for forgiveness and plead with navient not to report my late payment. But after I explained my situation the navient rep told me this:

"NO WORRIES SIR, WE DO NOT REPORT LATES UNTIL THEY ARE 60 DAYS PAST DUE "

So, for anyone freaking out about being a few days late on student loans, don't freak. I would not make it a habit but know that you have some wiggle room.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.